How did you find this group?

Options
mweckler
mweckler Posts: 623 Member
Hello one and all, I just looked and saw we are over 100 members and it got me thinking, how did you find this group?

Replies

• mweckler
    Options
    I started this group after I was diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder a few months ago. My doctor asked me if I had a good support system at home, and I did. That question got me thinking about people without a good support system, or those without a system at all. So I started looking around and could not find much out there. I felt this drive to make sure other people who are going through the feelings of confusion, powerlessness, and feeling out of control had a place to possibly find an answer so that they knew they were not alone. I know I felt all those things and more and had no idea why I could not stop myself from eating the way I was.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't remember how I found this group, LOL. I know I must have seen a link to it in a thread somewhere, but exactly where I couldn't tell you.
  • smendoza929
    smendoza929 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just searched up "binge eating" in the search bar. But I'm glad to have found this group!
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I also just searched for binge eating. I rarely go on the main forum boards.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I opened a thread, probably under recent discussions, and someone linked to this group.
  • betrue95
    betrue95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Someone linked to this group
  • ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had started a post on the main forum months ago called "binge eaters needing support" and tons of people responded. Then someone sent me a private message telling me about this group. Or maybe they posted it on there? Can't remember exactly, but I know it came from that initial post I made.
  • TheGramminator
    TheGramminator Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 61 years old (female) and have struggled with compulsive overeating and binge eating probably since my teenage years. I had success with Overeaters Anonymous and still go to meetings. In 2012 I rejoined Weight Watchers once again and made goal for the first time in my life 13 months later in 2013. Maintained pretty well for two years and then started gradually gaining weight. Right now I am about 20 lbs. over goal and having a hard time stopping the binges. I can do good for about a week to 10 days and then lose control again and go into big time binges. Today is my first day on My Fitness Pal - recommended by a WW blog friend - maybe a new start! It was nice to find this group too!
  • TinaGA2015
    TinaGA2015 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Saw it under discussions with the link. I am a MFP flip flopper. I can't seem to stick to anything so here I am again
  • mweckler
    Options
    Welcome back.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Although I haven't been formally diagnosed, I recently came to terms with accepting that I probably have Binge Eating Disorder. It's something I'm trying to really accept and come out about, and part of that process for me is looking for support groups. So I did a search of the site and found this group.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Hello @robingmurphy, I am not sure but I think most of the people here are also not officially diagnosed with B.E.D which does not make a difference. I started this group as a place for people to go to get answers and find help so that no one has to struggle not knowing like I did. It was a scary few years where I thought I was losing my mind because I was not informed about eating disorders, and thought that I was out of control and had a sugar addiction. But I am glad that I went and sought help because I have a better understanding about what is going on with me.
  • drpsamin
    drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed and searched it
  • FreeVeg
    FreeVeg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I searched on MFP specifically binge eating group. Just realised - enough is enough, and if I don't take care my demons, I can't have a life as with years it has only got worse not better. And yes, I don't really have support , I am alone with this. Happy I have found this group!