Returning to MFP

Options
dougstevens
dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
Hello group, hopefully there are those still around. A quick glance at the group shows that the last posting was back in 2014!!!

Personally, I have been away from MFP. Would like to return and shed some weight. My tennis is suffering. I KNOW that when the weight is lost, my game will improve dramatically.

Currently, I would rate myself as a solid 3.5 player. My intention is to lose 30 to 40 lbs (short term goal, actual goal will be around 100 lbs). After which I should be a strong 4.0 player.

I have the strokes, and game. Getting tired too quickly and mishitting the ball is becoming all to common. Also, been playing more recreational tennis than competitive.

Anyone else out there who plays competitively? Can you relate on the difference between weekend recreational vs. league playing?

FYI, currently the leagues which I participate in are ALTA (Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association) a local doubles league; and Ultimate Tennis (singles).

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Doug.
    I think losing weight helps so much in tennis. There is so much changing of direction. Being a bit heavy not only makes that difficult, and slows you, it wears you out.
    I play competitively in leagues year round and sometimes play tournaments. I don't know if it differs a ton for me. I have been playing in these leagues so long I know most of the guys already, and have played most a few times.
    Good luck. Yeah, I suppose it is a shame this group has gone into hibernation....zzzzzz
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    wake up tennis people!!!!!
  • rebootingdes
    rebootingdes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a good bit to lose myself but the motivation is definitely there. I want to be a better tennis player! (and I wish this group was more active!)
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Been away, over a year; struggling to get back.
    Played a matched last night. Though won 6-4, 6-1. Was definitely feeling it.

Remembering what its like being more physically fit vs an overweight tennis.
    1) Get fatigued a lot faster. Two sets are okay-ish. Third set wipes me out for a day. When I was in better shape; 3 sets were no problem.
    2) Focus goes away fast; mostly because of the fatigue; and poor hydration habits.
    3) Aches and pains are more. Yeah, part of it is age. But mostly because tennis is an impact sport. More gut weight means more wear and tear on the knees.

• Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Returning too, after 5 years. I'd like to be back to playing tennis but after gaining 40 pounds in the past five years, I don't even want to be seen on a court. Glad to be back.