Diclegis

Options
lauraaleshire
lauraaleshire Posts: 15 Member
Curious if many others have had to go on diclegis for morning sickness. I'm about 7.5 weeks along and started it last week, initially with amazing results and now the nausea is starting to creep back today. Last time I was pregnant the only thing that helped nausea was eating, so of course I gained weight in my first trimester. This time I'm trying to count calories just to be sure I'm not taking in extra as I try to eat little amounts throughout the day to help with my fatigue. I've been good about it but still gained a couple of pounds, which worries me this early. Now more worried that I've had a nausea day despite the medication.

Replies

• LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I took it during my first trimester and it helped but didn't totally get rid of the nausea, my best friend is pregnant now and having the same experience. I ended up eating a lot of carbs and put on 5lbs by week 14. Thankfully my nausea pretty much went away after that!
  • Doradarling
    Doradarling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Similar experience. I took diclegis and it helped a great deal. Still had a LOT of breakthrough nausea. On rare occasions (important work events) took Zofran, which helped me get through a few hours, but also resulted in the WORST constipation.

Here's a tip: I filled the diclegis prescription several times, but it got pricey. I switched over to Unisom + B6 (same ingredients as diclegis) and had the same relief as with diclegis (although still with the same breakthrough nausea). It was much more economical - could get a bulk bottle of 120 pills from Costco for less the cost of one prescription refill. I take half a pill (they are scored for this purpose) before bed, and it really helps with the morning sickness.

Gained in first trimester, as well. Now at 18 weeks and feeling a lot better, although still taking the Unisom. Ate a lot of carbs first trimester, as it was the only thing I could stand to look at and it seemed to keep nausea at bay. Plain white rice, plain baked/boiled potato, plain pasta, plain white bread (the smell of TOAST made me want to hurl). I couldn't even stand the smell of them cooking, so hubs was great about making it while I sat in a different room -then just choked some down.

It was the most unpleasureable weight gain ever!!! Not only did I not want to gain the weight, but every meal was torture. Had to eat to keep from puking. What a crazy time! Wish it had been more fun. Also found microwavable options. Kraft Easy mac mac&cheese was tolerable. Now doing better eating some plain veggies, some meat, french toast, bagels, cheese.

I know it is misery, but it will get better.