Knee pain

Options
mommabenefield
mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
Has anyone experienced knee pain from midway-bottom of their squat and managed to correct it?
Is this a form issue or a reason to visit a doctor?

I've had pain for three of my four workouts now, even just body weight squats today after attempting a weighted squat, hurt. i waited a day before lifting yesterday and all was fine even did 20 mins HIIT that included lots of body weight squats. Today couldnt do jack!

Just wondering if ya'll had any experience with the knee pain and what the outcome was?

Thanks!

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i got deadly prepatellar tendinitis/bursitis after a few weeks of squats, at first. thought i had ruined myself, but it was from being way too quad-dominant and not stretching. google and see if it fits before assuming yours is the same.

mine went away when i actually read the instructions and understood i had to use my hamstrings/glutes more. it took a few weeks but in the meantime in my case manic quad stretches helped from moment to moment. i found that a good stretch could give me relief for at least a while, and i just kept repeating at need until things calmed down.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info and experience. I finally went to the doc (family med not ortho) and she said its just inflammation she couldnt feel anything out of place no swelling, but no xray either. Not sure if the inflammation is the same as what you described everything i have been reading is either too mych the same as everything else or not at all what i'm feeling
    She prescribed ibuprofen for a week and said to lay off the squats for a while.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the outcome and really upset about not being able to lift right now. I'm gonna try and at least do low impact cardio for awhile and see about how i can prepre my knees to pick up squats again the stretches like u mentioned and some alternate lifts maybe
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was/am having knee and shoulder pain. I have been seeing my chiro and now just hit him every other week for adjustments.

Today squatting, I felt that twinge in my knee coming. I took my sneakers off and just squatted in socks. No pain at all. Not sure if it's the cushion in the sneakers, squishy and letting your foot move too much, or tbh, above my knowledge lvl, but it worked. I guess this is why they say lift in proper shoes, not sneakers.

Hopefully it's something easy to fix. Don't get discouraged, just keep at but listen to your body when it's cross with you :D
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    98% of the time if you have knee pain squatting the cause is poor form- knee cave or excessive forward movement are big causes. Videoing your sets is a great way to check for these- either by yourself or to post here or fb/ig/etc. I would caution against seeing a chiropractor without figuring out what is going on with your squat. Chiropractors are a great tool, but if you're not fixing your movement patterns it's just putting a bandaid on the situation.