Measured run Distance on charge hr vs treadmill

Expatmommy79
Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
Just did a fitness test and was aiming to measure my time to finish 1 mile (1.6 km)
The treadmill showed 1.6 km so I stopped. 15:30
The Fitbit showed 1.9 km at 15:30

Which one is right?

Replies

• tim_whalen
    tim_whalen Posts: 5 Member
    Probably the treadmill. To get more accurate distance on your ChargeHR, you need to determine your stride length and enter that into Profile. Right now it's probably defaulting to 0 for both your walking stride and running stride. Check this length...

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-measure-and-adjust-my-stride-length
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    tim_whalen wrote: »
    Probably the treadmill. To get more accurate distance on your ChargeHR, you need to determine your stride length and enter that into Profile. Right now it's probably defaulting to 0 for both your walking stride and running stride. Check this length...

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-measure-and-adjust-my-stride-length

Ah great thank you.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    My stride length on the treadmill is much, much shorter than normal running or walking. So, pick which you're going to do the most of and calibrate your stride length for that. When it comes to walking, you probably want to calibrate your walking stride when at a normal, casual walking pace so that it will be as accurate as possible for most of your daily activities because when heart rate isn't being used to compute calorie burn (so, all the time for any Fitbit without an HR monitor and when HR isn't elevated for models with a monitor), an accurate stride length is critical to an accurate calorie burn estimate.

I used MapMyWalk to calibrate my stride length. I put my Fitbit in exercise mode at the beginning of the walk or run, and started MMW at the same time. At the end, I had steps from Fitbit and distance from MMW and I could compute stride length. Once I got it close, I have continued to occasionally check the accuracy and tweak my stride length by just increasing or decreasing it a little. I like using this method because it averages the stride length over a good long distance, which I think makes it more accurate than doing it over just a distance of a few feet.