Long miles leading to naps I don't have time for ...

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
I ran 14 today - training for a November marathon (my first).

How do you balance the long runs with actual life/responsibilities? I took a "quick nap" at 2 p.m. and didn't wake up until almost dinner. Uh oh ...

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    It's tough. I'm an empty nester, and the 16 week training program was a constant exercise in squeezing life maintenance activities in around the edges. I know people who train for marathons and have supportive spouses, but I don't know how someone who works full time, has family responsibilities, and doesn't have a spouse who will take up the slack manages.
  • yoplait311
    yoplait311 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Time management?
    That and getting to bed at a smart time to ensure a proper amount of sleep (8 hrs at least) for better recovery and energy the next day.
    We all have the same 24 hrs in a day.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I used to have to take a nap after long runs, but now I lay down and can't fall asleep! The need for a nap will diminish over time, hopefully. But I typically just budget some rest into the day. Then again, I'm a grad student, so the extent of my responsibilities is writing my thesis and watching Netflix ;)
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thx all! When I made the choice to do this, I factored in all the run time but hadn't counted on the post-run exhaustion. I hope you're right that it is an adjustment period. I think i ought to pay closer attention to food choices, too. The time management suggestion is certainly fair! I'm pretty accustomed to managing multiple priorities in a busy life. Eight hours is the trick because the only way to have time enough is to run at 5 a.m. (doesn't affect the fam). I just need to know how to minimize the time commitment to training so the rest of my world doesn't get disgruntled. :)

Not complaining though - very excited to be on this new journey and very open to your thoughts and suggestions!!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    It's tough. I'm an empty nester, and the 16 week training program was a constant exercise in squeezing life maintenance activities in around the edges. I know people who train for marathons and have supportive spouses, but I don't know how someone who works full time, has family responsibilities, and doesn't have a spouse who will take up the slack manages.

Some far, my only wing-it plan is to get it done before everyone wakes up. :/ lol ... I'll keep you posted.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love napping after my long run! But I don't have kids of anything :) My long run routine is run, eat, beer, shower, nap <3
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Are you eating/drinking a recovery snack within 30 minutes after your run? I know that if I am not getting in a nutrient boost after my runs that I end up crashing and burning in the afternoon. Also, make sure you are getting a good nights rest. One of the biggest things about marathon training is teaching your body to function during times of extreme exhaustion...that exhaustion will catch up to you if you have too much of a sleep deficit bank.

Hope these suggestions help.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    wonderful - thank you!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever done a full, but when I'm training for a half, I generally just treat my one "long run" day as a wasted day. I'm sure that's not helpful. Ha! Like, I'll usually plan my long run for a Sunday, so I'll usually do laundry, run errands, clean house, etc., on Saturday so that if I end up doing nothing at all on Sunday, I don't feel guilty about it.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OMG, I really thought there was something wrong with me and I was the only one that ever had this issue. I should have known better. I'm running something of an Em created training plan right now that has me doing several weeks in a row at the same long run mileage. In doing this, I've learned that the first week at upped mileage sucks and I want to curl up and sleep after. Subsequent weeks are MUCH easier to power through. So I think that the need for napping (for me) diminishes once my body has accepted the new level of abuse.

@SchweddyGirl - what would you consider a good post-run snack? I usually do a V8 and some yogurt, but not always within 30 minutes, since the idea of food that close to the end of a running session makes me nauseous. If it'll help the nap-need, I'll suck it up and do it, though. I have very active teen boys, and don't always have time to take it easy when I'd like. :)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Run in the evenings or later in the day.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can run a 20 mile training run then go to a party or work around my house all day long. Other days I need a nap after a 14 mile run. I think that sleep, weather (heat and humidity), hydration and nutrition all play a huge role in this, so make sure you are giving all of these things consideration when doing your long runs. Sometime I do my long runs intentionally depleted and this is when I notice that I suffer the most post run, so I try to plan for that.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I frequently need a nap in the afternoon after my long run. I've never thought of that as being connected to the run, because I'm typically up an hour and a half to two hours earlier than normal to get to that long run.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I frequently need a nap in the afternoon after my long run. I've never thought of that as being connected to the run, because I'm typically up an hour and a half to two hours earlier than normal to get to that long run.

Same with me. I am definitely more tired on my run days, but I'm attributing that to being up much earlier, rather than the run.