Something I came across...

Options
wrknonmedaily
wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
I have been dieting for years. And over the years I've read a lot of books on dieting and I came across this and I thought that it kind of put everything together for me so I'm just going to post it and tell me what you think. I can't remember what book I got it from I wish I had wrote down the author...
Much of the joy of slimming, if it exists at all, is arriving at the goal: achieving weight loss, becoming fitter, and feeling more comfortable with one's body. The process of slimming itself yields a masochist kind of pleasure coming more from the knowledge of having survived a difficult obstacle course than from the act of changing one's eating habits. Survival can depend on many factors-self-confidence, self-knowledge, highly supportive family and friends, belief in one's ability to complete the course and probably many others.
Change is never easy. We are all bound by old habits and also overestimate our capacity for major change. It is all too easy for an attempt at slimming to turn from an attempt to find joy and happiness to a recipe of misery and despair, as repeated over as the suffeter repeats the same mistakes. Yet changing one's behavior in the direction of pursuing a healthier life can be immensely rewarding. Success for some people is a matter of finding the right recipe for change and once the change has been made there's no going back. Author unknown.