What Diet is everyone doing?

Options

Replies

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    stesig13 wrote: »
    I think me and Stella are almost on par with the amount of diets we've tried!
    Thanks everyone for replying. I think it's really interesting and nice to be able to share all our different ways of eating without getting them bashed by other MFP members like in the forums! I am open minded to everyones approach as we all know the saying "what works for you may not work for me" etc... It'll be great to see eachothers progress on the different eating plans and maybe open eachothers minds up to new things to try if we see anyone struggling in the future. :)

I would like if couple of us can try same diet for a week, like a challenge . We will think of things to eat and will eat it for a week and then compare results and feelings. I thing it's fun!!

I would be up for doing something like that at some point, but unfortunately I can't experiment with a different diet at the moment as it will kick me out of Ketosis and I haven't been in it all that long. (I will explain below, lol) But I think it would be fun and interesting too and i'd love to hear other peoples experiences doing it!
  • stesig13
    stesig13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying. I think it's really interesting and nice to be able to share all our different ways of eating without getting them bashed by other MFP members like in the forums! I am open minded to everyones approach as we all know the saying "what works for you may not work for me" etc... It'll be great to see eachothers progress on the different eating plans and maybe open eachothers minds up to new things to try if we see anyone struggling in the future. :)

I would like if couple of us can try same diet for a week, like a challenge . We will think of things to eat and will eat it for a week and then compare results and feelings. I thing it's fun!!

I would be up for doing something like that at some point, but unfortunately I can't experiment with a different diet at the moment as it will kick me out of Ketosis and I haven't been in it all that long. (I will explain below, lol) But I think it would be fun and interesting too and i'd love to hear other peoples experiences doing it!

You don't have to do anything new, you will just challenge me lol
  • stesig13
    Options

You will tell me what u will eat, I will eat the same and we will compare notes
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    Options
    phyllis731 wrote: »
    I am currently doing a bit of paleo. I'd been eating that way without realizing it, so I've just embraced the name. I'm going try carb cycling, too, and see how that helps. And I'm currently not eating sugar, flour, or drinking alcohol.

Phillis, how on earth can u not eat flour or sugar? Please share

I don't eat flour or sugar either Stella!

What? How? What do u have instead? Teach me!

What I do isn't far away from Phyllis's way of eating - Paleo is basically eating as natural as possible close to what our ancient cavemen ancestors ate, focusing primarily on fats, fruit, nuts, seeds, vegetables and meat with no refined carbs (bread, flour, sugar - processed food)

What I am doing is a Ketogenic Diet - basically designed for "optimal fat burning" lol which I feel I need at the moment through being so inactive..
    Keto focuses on meat, fat, and vegetables, but it also extremely low carb.. so not only do we eliminate processed carbs, but we also don't really eat fruit, nuts etc. We can eat artificial sugars if we wish to..
    So my meals basically consist of fatty cuts of meat and fish, a small amount of vegetables and salad, cheese and a large amount of fat. Eggs are our best friend.. and full fat cream in our coffee..
    This leads to making very simple quick and easy meals.. that are surprisingly not that boring generally because they taste so good from the added fats we can have.
    Also fantastic at eliminating cravings for sugar or stodgy foods (once you get over the initial sugar withdrawal! lol)
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options

You will tell me what u will eat, I will eat the same and we will compare notes

Take a look at my above post first before you make that decision... lol x
  • stesig13
    Options
    I am currently doing a bit of paleo. I'd been eating that way without realizing it, so I've just embraced the name. I'm going try carb cycling, too, and see how that helps. And I'm currently not eating sugar, flour, or drinking alcohol.

What I do isn't far away from Phyllis's way of eating - Paleo is basically eating as natural as possible close to what our ancient cavemen ancestors ate, focusing primarily on fats, fruit, nuts, seeds, vegetables and meat with no refined carbs (bread, flour, sugar - processed food)

What I am doing is a Ketogenic Diet - basically designed for "optimal fat burning" lol which I feel I need at the moment through being so inactive..
    Keto focuses on meat, fat, and vegetables, but it also extremely low carb.. so not only do we eliminate processed carbs, but we also don't really eat fruit, nuts etc. We can eat artificial sugars if we wish to..
    So my meals basically consist of fatty cuts of meat and fish, a small amount of vegetables and salad, cheese and a large amount of fat. Eggs are our best friend.. and full fat cream in our coffee..
    This leads to making very simple quick and easy meals.. that are surprisingly not that boring generally because they taste so good from the added fats we can have.
    Also fantastic at eliminating cravings for sugar or stodgy foods (once you get over the initial sugar withdrawal! lol)

Got it, it's for you younglings!
    I am too old for it! May be not, have to research if it can hurt me.
  • fwitsend1277
    fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing any diet plan. I'm just calorie counting. It's been fairly easy so far to make decent choices I'd rather eat a lot of something (veggies etc) than have a taste of something for the same calorie allowance. I am struggling to limit my cheese though...
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    Options

Got it, it's for you younglings!
    I am too old for it! May be not, have to research if it can hurt me.

You only have to be careful if you are Diabetic type 1, or you have kidney disease... if you haven't got either of those. you'd be good to go! :)
  • mitsimr
    mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am just counting calories and making sure I get some kind of activity in. I do not deny myself. I love cokes so I went out and bought mini cokes. I have one a day (unless I have bought a regular canned coke and then I don't have any) and it helps with my caffeine headaches, cravings and more. A mini coke is 90 calories and a regular can 140. Last night my SO asked me how many calories I had left for the day. At the time I had 306. He was going to the store wanted to know if I wanted a snack. The only thing I wanted was a coke. Sad thing is I logged all my calories for that coke but probably only drank a quarter of it if that before I fell asleep. So that has been my goal stay within calories and find acceptable ways to deal with cravings without feeling like I am missing out on something. There are many healthy things that I love and go crazy over so I try to have them. Almonds are the love of my life and I had some a couple times this week and it was amazing. Some days I make my calories, Some days I am a bit under and some days I go a little bit over. If I stop losing around a pound a week I will stop, reassess what I am doing, and push more. I of course would love to lose more than a pound a week but I want a reasonable goal that will not cause me disappointment; otherwise I will get discouraged and give up. It has happened before. I have stayed really happy with my success so far because I have kept my goals reasonable. Maybe I am wrong by this and should push myself harder to do more. If that is the case I may do it later on down the line but now is not the time for me. I am sorry I rambled and am pretty sure I got off topic a little bit. I love this group so much and want to share with and learn from everyone. I also want to add high five here to all the hard work everyone is putting in.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    mitsimr - I think you're doing fantastically. Why push yourself if you don't even feel you want to?
    I think 1lb loss a week is fine... yes i get a little disappointed when I get on the scales and it only registers 1lb but in 7 weeks that is still half a dress size for me which is significant!!
    And the way you do your calories is good too... I went through a time once where I was completely rigid and felt I had to make up my calories each day no matter how I felt and then the odd day I went over I would feel totally distraught. This method is great because if you are under one day, then you will be able to eat a little more on the other days you really need it. A very sensible and sustainable approach all round I think :)
  • mitsimr
    mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you Mirabelle. When I decided I wanted to lose weight again I looked at my past efforts and tried to look at it and see what went wrong. Why did I quit? I decided this time to let my success's motivate me, to give myself a little bit of rope, and look at the big picture when I stall out before I can get disappointed. So far so good!!
  • hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    lls5111 wrote: »
    About 10 years ago, I had great success with weight watchers. After my hysterectomy I got very down on myself and gained everything back plus. So now I am back to weight watchers and I really like it. They are focusing now on 'clean' eating and its really working for me. Its a little slower to take off the weight - its difficult for me to get exercise in, but the scales are going down.

I like mfp website/app sooooo much better so I am doing my journaling twice.

The first time I needed to lose was at 29 and I weighed a whopping 148 pounds. I lost the 20 very quickly and stayed with it for quite a while. Once I stopped attending the meetings as an employee/lifetime member, I began gaining it back a little at a time until I hit the magic 218. I lost 38 pounds, then gained it back over the past couple of years because my feet were killing me - plantar fasciitis and bone spurs are hideous. It is tough to walk two steps much less exercise when that is going on. However, I learned that if I hobbled to the Total Gym that I purchased with a prayer of hope, I could work out without sobbing. Then, my mother-in-law found out she had two types of cancer - hence two surgeries and we are in the second recovery phase with home health. I joined a local gym for one month until I can go home and am hitting every class I can survive! :smiley:

FOOD - We researched quite a few things - we use Zeal Wellness and Zeal Protein shakes to support a primarily clean eating plan.
  • FitMeBetter
    FitMeBetter Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mitsimr and Maribelle, you both make very good points. I love the approach. I tend to do well all day, basically choosing meats, brown rice, veggies and fruit, nuts and such. I stay within my calorie range, but then find myself bingeing in the evening. I've been trying to lose 1 1/2 - 2 lbs/week, but at this rate I'm going to keep gaining. I think I'll try increasing my calories and accept the 1 lb/week so that I'm not feeling deprived and then depressed!

Thanks to all of you who are willing to share what works for you and what doesn't! Loving this group!
  • stesig13
    Options
    Mitsimr and Maribelle, you both make very good points. I love the approach. I tend to do well all day, basically choosing meats, brown rice, veggies and fruit, nuts and such. I stay within my calorie range, but then find myself bingeing in the evening. I've been trying to lose 1 1/2 - 2 lbs/week, but at this rate I'm going to keep gaining. I think I'll try increasing my calories and accept the 1 lb/week so that I'm not feeling deprived and then depressed!

Thanks to all of you who are willing to share what works for you and what doesn't! Loving this group!

That what happens to me, but you know what works for me? zigzag
    When I binge at night, I need to cut calories next day by eating tiny portions every two hours
    We have to fool the body , that it feels it's not hungry, next day u will lose all u gained and a little more
  • stesig13
    Options

That what happens to me, but you know what works for me? zigzag
    When I binge at night, I need to cut calories next day by eating tiny portions every two hours
    We have to fool the body , that it feels it's not hungry, next day u will lose all u gained and a little more

There is a phone app called nag
    I use it for reminding me every 2 hrs to eat
    I would suggest it to everybody, bc time runs fast and we forget to eat, and we get hungry and binge
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options

If I really cannot stand not to snack at night - which doesn't happen so much at the moment but it still does around the time of the month...and I used to experience night binges terribly!!
    I make loads and loads of sugar free jelly (jello) and literally eat to my hearts content. If you're not worried about artificial sugars it's a good way to "feel" like you're eating loads but taking in hardly anything in the way of calories.
  • stesig13
    Options

If I really cannot stand not to snack at night - which doesn't happen so much at the moment but it still does around the time of the month...and I used to experience night binges terribly!!
    I make loads and loads of sugar free jelly (jello) and literally eat to my hearts content. If you're not worried about artificial sugars it's a good way to "feel" like you're eating loads but taking in hardly anything in the way of calories.

Yes, sugar free jello works and I can even put a tbs of whipped light cream
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options

Ahhhh! As you'll see Ms Stella - I used the full fat heavy variety... lol
  • stesig13
    Options

Ahhhh! As you'll see Ms Stella - I used the full fat heavy variety... lol

Even better
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have tried lots of diets over the years. Find smaller portions of healthy food the best except i get tempted the most in late afternoon. I am working on snacks that are healthy but take away wanting more, like hummus, fruit, handful nuts, etc.