How much do you increase each workout?

Options
Hey Ladies,

I know I should add less weight to some exercises than suggested in the programm. How much did you/do increase?

Currently I plan on
DL 5 kg (10 lbs? - sorry, used to metric system)
Squat 5 kg
Row 2.5 kg (5 lbs?)
Bench 2.5 kg
OHP 2.5 kg

I have fractional plates to use when it's getting too heavy. or do you suggest using them for Bench and OHP from the beginning?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    the formal sl website shows weight progressions more engineeered towards men. i think most of us just followed that until the jumps got too hard to do with every next workout, and then we'd start adding smaller weights or doing more reps per set instead. another option is to just stay at a weight you find challenging, and repeat it until you're finding it easier and feel 'ready' to make the next jump.

the main thing to go for is form (and imo: fun). if you can keep your good form through all the sets at the new weight, then you're good. if your form starts to break down or if it's getting so hard that you just can't stand it, then go ahead and adjust/adapt for your own personal needs. lifting is really just about progressive overload, and that's more about what's an 'overload' for you personally than it is about a single prescription for everyone.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm doing 2.5kg for squat and deadlift (but I only increase every third workout) and 0.5kg on the others. I started with heavier increases until that was too difficult. The app actually suggested decreasing the increase in Bench Press after failing a couple of times.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of fractionals (1.25 pounds - I guess about .5 kg - each plate), so each workout I go up 2.5 pounds - or a little over 1 kg - total. I do that for everything except deadlift, which I increase 5 pounds each time I do it. I've changed the settings in the SL app to these weight progressions and it's worked very well for me.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    When doing SL I stuck mostly to 5 lbs increase on squat, did 10 for deadlift until near the end then switched to 5, bench and ohp were hit or miss and had the occasional de-load. I tried to increase 5 since gym didn't have anything smaller but sometimes had to stay at a weight or go lower to work back up.

I really need to get smaller weights for upper body lifts. Those are barely moving at all. hmmm