UpDayDownDay Diet

Options
stesig13
stesig13 Posts: 247 Member
i read about this diet and i kinda want to try it. Whats your input? who is with me?

Replies

• stesig13
    Options
    stesig13 wrote: »
    i read about this diet and i kinda want to try it. Whats your input? who is with me?

5. UpDayDownDay ™ Diet (aka The Alternate-Day Diet or Alternate-Day Fasting)

Started by: James Johnson, M.D.
    Best for: Disciplined dieters with a specific goal weight.

How It Works: This one’s easy: Eat very little one day, and eat like normal the next. On the low-calorie days, that means one fifth of your normal calorie intake. So using 2,000 or 2,500 calories (for women and men, respectively) as a guide, that means a “fasting” (or “down”) day should be 400 to 500 calories. Followers can use this tool to figure out how many calories to consume on “low-calorie” days.

To make “down” days easier to stick to, Johnson recommends opting for meal replacement shakes because they’re fortified with essential nutrients and can be sipped throughout the day rather than split into small meals. However, meal replacement shakes should only be used during the first two weeks of the diet — after that, you should start eating real food on “down” days. The next day, eat like normal. Rinse and repeat! (Note: If working out is part of your routine, you may find it harder to hit the gym on the lower calorie days. It may be smart to keep any workouts on these days on the tamer side, or save sweat sessions for your normal calorie days.)

Pros: This method is all about weight loss, so if that’s your main goal, this is one to take a closer look at. On average, those who cut calories by 20 to 35 percent see a loss of about two and a half pounds per week, according to the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet website.

Cons: While the method is pretty easy to follow, it can be easy to binge on the “normal” day. The best way to stay on track is planning your meals ahead of time as often as possible, so you’re not caught at the drive-through or all-you-can-eat buffet with a grumbling belly.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit like The Every Other Day diet by Krista Varady.. Fasting never worked with my lifestyle and family and I stopped after about a week. But it's a great way to cut calories if you can handle it well.
  • stesig13
    Options
    Sounds a bit like The Every Other Day diet by Krista Varady.. Fasting never worked with my lifestyle and family and I stopped after about a week. But it's a great way to cut calories if you can handle it well.

But it's not fasting, it's a zigzag diet
    One day I eat everything , next day I eat less.
    If o e day I will eat 1400 cal, next day I will eat 1000. I am against drastic diets.
    What do u think?
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    Hmmm well it sounds interesting. i haven't read it. If you think it's something you can sustain i'd say go for it and give it a shot. If it doesn't work out you can always try something new. :) Sometimes I would overeat one day and restrict my calories the next day to make up for it - I still lost weight that way, so yeah!
  • stesig13
    Options
    Hmmm well it sounds interesting. i haven't read it. If you think it's something you can sustain i'd say go for it and give it a shot. If it doesn't work out you can always try something new. :) Sometimes I would overeat one day and restrict my calories the next day to make up for it - I still lost weight that way, so yeah!

That exactly what I am going for
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    This type diet helps to the people who do less work, As per the human body requirement we need to take minimum 1200 cal. Low calorie diet helpful for the people who dont go for exercises.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    Ahh - that's me then!!
  • stesig13
    Options
    Ahh - that's me then!!

Bella, I know it works. How can I persuade those ladies, who fell of the wagon like I did, but couldn't get back?!
    It really not helping the big picture of losing big amount of weight. I can't be pushy, I can't help people if they don't want my help, but this is an answer.
    If it works for me, it will work for everybody, bc I weigh 210 lbs and 60 years old and the worst yo yo dieter ever
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sadly you can't convince anyone to do something they aren't willing to do. It comes eventually - I tried for a long time to convince my mother I could help her lose weight... took her a year to finally give in and let me - and she's never looked back. But you have to be ready... I'm so glad you're finally finding something that works for you :) Hope you're looking forward to tomorrows weigh in! I'm not after all that chocolate - nevermind, I said I would log it didn't I!!! :)
  • hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Its all about the "why". When people have a reason that makes everything else a lower priority, they will look for something that works for them and won't stop until they find it. All you can do is try something - if it works for you, then others will want to try. You may gain a few along your journey.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    Or get marked as spam as I apparently just have!! lol ;)
  • scruffy1961
    scruffy1961 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    it is very much like fasting but yeah overall if calories are down then weight loss should occur, but like all diets it is personal. Everyone should try different types of diets, especially those that make sense to you and your life style. But what works for me may not work for you, but you may not find the perfect diet unless you explore. My only tip is listen to your body, it tells you everything you need.
  • hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Is this similar to carb cycling?