INJURY!

Options
Elise4270
Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
So, I've done something to my foot. Wednesday/Thursday it felt like it needed poped, rubbed maybe some heat- like a subluxed cuboid feels as it's just becoming a problem, but this is about the navicular bone.

I went about my half on Sunday. 5 miles in it complained, 9-10 miles in, running was not possible. It's better with rest, worse with activity. I'm limping, so now my knees are complaining.

So my big question is: How do you manage injury's? When do you head for the doctor? What's your protocol experience been with injury?

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Many runners, myself included, are stupider for themselves than they are for other runners. What I *ought* to do in your situation is rest a day, see if I feel normal the next day, if not rest another day, and maybe add back some walking on the third day if it still doesn't feel like I can run. Make an appointment with a medical professional if a week of rest doesn't make it all better.

What I have historically tended to do is rest a day or two, feel better but not all the way better, run on it, make it worse, lather, rinse, repeat. Over time, I like to flatter myself that I'm getting better at this; but I know I still tend to do too much rather than too little.

There are two major issues I struggle with. First, admitting that I'm banged up enough that I shouldn't run. Complaint at 5 miles, keep running, unable to run 9 miles in . . . sounds like me. What I *should* do is quit at 5 miles when it complains. Do I do that? Hardly ever. I might cut a planned 10 mile run to 8 if it complained at 5. But like most runners, I'm pretty stupid about my own injuries.

The other issue is identifying the appropriate medical professional to consult. Many of my issues have been with feet and ankles; once I established a relationship with a podiatrist, that was easy for foot and ankle. Still, because I'm stupid about my own injuries, I tend to wait for the next follow up visit instead of scheduling a visit because I banged up an ankle. So far, I've been lucky that way; the follow up visit has been a reasonably short time after banging up the ankle.

Right now, I have an iffy right hip abductor. Today will be my third day of rest. If I can't run tomorrow, I should seek medical attention; but who to call? This isn't a podiatrist issue. Maybe the PT I saw in 2013. More likely, I'll feel better tomorrow and decide to wait a while longer, just because I'm stupid that way.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp that about sums up where I am. Being level headed about my own limitations and knowing when I'm being dramatic "oh no the sky is falling" (which is so easy to do after living with chronic pain), or brushing it off and causing further injury.

I'm anxious to get back to running. I've made progress with my physique. On the couch not running isn't going to get me anywhere. So, I'm tempted to try to push through it. Guess I'll treat like tendonitis for a week and go from there. I'm at 3 days off too. I'm starting to hurt from lack of exercise.

I had issues with my medial glute (still kinda do). My hip surgeon has me doing hip triangles to strengthen it. Although, I know they can tear at the illiac crest. If that's the abductor that's bothering you. I did a lot of self massage. Mine is torn a bit. But my left hip is a mess anyhow.

Thanks again. I just needed a sane persons view.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Well, I came in hoping to help. Then @MobyCarp said things perfectly. Well. Then I read that thing above. So now I'm wondering what the heck I'm doing in here! :tongue:

Hope continued rest helps.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MobyCarp said things perfectly. Well. Then I read that thing above. So now I'm wondering what the heck I'm doing in here! :tongue:

Hope continued rest helps.
    Ya I agree. I felt the same way. :blush:
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Another +1 for MobyCarp!

I hurt my hip around this time last year and more or less ignored it. I was in mild to moderate pain for a long time . . . I actually don't even remember when it started to not hurt because I'd been so used to living with it. This past February, I hurt the other hip, same pain (though a bit worse), and continued to run/workout for about 3 weeks before admitting "defeat." Actually, I didn't admit anything . . . I started crying from the pain during a training session and my trainer basically kicked me out of the gym (in a loving way) and forbade me to return without a doctor's note - LOL! Started with my PCP who decided to treat it as bursitis, with ice/rest . . . if it hadn't helped, we'd move onto x-rays, MRI, and/or an ortho. I spent almost 2 full week doing NOTHING and it was horrible. But, it definitely helped. I proactively ice my hip after all runs now and it's markedly better. Unfortunately, it derailed my half training and I'm not as prepared for May 15th as I could/should be.

Crossing my fingers that rest is all your foot needs! And that you have the strength to actually rest :)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @rrcoffey ouch! I have hip bursitis too. I have refused to bother with it. Like you, I can ignore it. Guess I'll kill two birds with one stone and let the foot an hip rest.

Thanks for your insight. I guess the determination we have as runners spills over in to injury resistance. Good luck with your half, I hope you recover quickly and faster than ever.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Two years ago I had a stress fracture in my foot and was put in a walking boot. I could not run, so I asked my doctor what exercises I could do. It was probably the longest 6 weeks of my life, but I rode my bike as much as I could and did strength training exercises that limited impact on my foot. I made it through without losing much fitness. It isn't easy and, as @MobyCarp pointed out, we runners tend to give the best advice to others and not ourselves. But if you are able to be patient and adaptable, you will be better for it in the long run (and, yes, that pun is ALWAYS intended). Sorry you are dealing with this :(
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Thanks @lporter229 . I'll get the bike out and see if it aggravates my foot. Maybe see if I can swim. There was an encouraging article on RW.
    I may have to read it a few time so it'll sink in. This group is my number 4.

http://www.runnersworld.com/psychology/5-steps-for-coping-with-the-psychological-effects-of-injuries
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I will just quietly show myself to the door.

• Elise4270
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I will just quietly show myself to the door.

:smile: It's all relative.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    For most injuries, which were minor, I just cut back as much as I mentally could and avoided seeing a doc.

This last time with my Achilles, which I felt was more serious but not super serious, I went in after 4 days even though I saw daily improvement because I wanted to do what ever it took to maximize my chance of completing the marathon I'm training for, and to make sure it wasn't anything more serious. If not for the marathon I'm not sure I would have gone in.