Making May MINE

Options
brisingr86
brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
Ok, starting to run out of monthly titles, but the thought here is on taking control of life; yes, there are always things that are out of our control, but focus on what you can control. Similar to April, take ownership/accountability for our decisions and do what you can to make May YOUR month. Rock your goals! Do that stuff you've been putting off! For those that want some structure/are joining Marla Jean in the 3 part challenge, I've copied information below:
The challenge is in 3 parts:

1-MOVE
2-MENU PLAN
3-MOTIVATE

All you have to do is a tad more than you normally do (baby steps) don't over-do it, but be sure to push yourself just a tiny bit outside your comfort zone!

1-Make a goal for moving your body more than you normally move.
Whether it is working out 3 days a week or 1000 minutes for the month or simply taking those extra steps to park farther away from your destination and take the stairs instead of the elevators and/or escalators, just do it for the entire month.

2-Make a goal to pre-plan your menu and stick to it!
If you don't do this already, perhaps pick one day a week to pre-plan your menu for the month of May, for example, "Monday Menu Planning day for MAY" or if you already do this frequently but maybe have a hard time sticking to plan on the Weekends, your goal could be to stick to menu plans each of the 4 weekends in May.

3-Make a goal to motivate others because in doing so you will motivate yourself!
Perhaps it's posting a motivational meme once a week or posting a positive quote on 4 different MFPalz newsfeeds or positively encouraging someone in this or another group you participate in, as long as it's motivational give it a go at least 4-5 times in the month of May.

Replies

• MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone for sure! I love @brisingr86 idea to "make May yours" and that It's completely up to you! Because like everything about your health--it really is up to you!

If you decide to join me, Make your goals fit your needs and/or wants those I mentioned above are just suggestions to get you started on thinking what you KNOW works for you! The main key is to take yourself slightly out of your comfort zone to shake things up a bit before the summer really kicks into gear!

My Personal goals for May:

1-Cardio 3x50 mins per week, body weight strength 2x30 mins per week and HIIT 1x20 mins per week; in order to reach a minimum of 1000 minutes for the month. I need more consistency and I need to add more strength.

2-Stick to menu plans 5 out of 7 days per week with the weekends being a part of those 5. I'm horrible at sticking to plan on the weekends and I generally have things come up, especially in the summer, that changes my best laid plans so I'm gonna try 5 days so it gives me some leeway for 2 days and I'm gonna focus on the weekends!

3-I'm going to do something motivational for my MFPalz 2 times per week throughout the month of May.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wedding this month!! Don't what the weigh in will be this month, but thinking I won't make my ultimate goal this month, 4lbs would do.... Dress should arrive this week so we'll see.
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    fitfor30th wrote: »
    Wedding this month!! Don't what the weigh in will be this month, but thinking I won't make my ultimate goal this month, 4lbs would do.... Dress should arrive this week so we'll see.
    SO SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!

• Fitforevermore
    Options
    Thanks Marla! Feeling quite stressed and anxious to be honest. Don't really know why, it's quite a lot of pressure isn't it, having an event all about you!
  • brisingr86
    Options
    Hang in there Jools! At least you have an end in sight. It is all about you, so others should be stressing about making you happy, not you stressing. Try to find time to relax. I'm sure everything will be fine. As always, feel free to vent here.

Great goals Marla Jean (and thanks for bringing the structure).

SW: (April 28):150.2

Goals: Be under 150 for all weigh-ins.
    • Move: Actually get all the way through Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, 5x/week
    • Menu Plan: Stick to 5:2/16:8 IF regimen and calorie goals
    • Motivate: Post motivational stuff at least 3 times a week
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Move - run 4-5x / week, yoga 4-5x / week
    Menu - back on my pre-wedding fish fingers and beans diet to move the scale in the right direction (gained around 5lbs in the 2 months post wedding)
    Motivate - get involved with this group again!
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    fitfor30th wrote: »
    Thanks Marla! Feeling quite stressed and anxious to be honest. Don't really know why, it's quite a lot of pressure isn't it, having an event all about you!
    It really is! I know that when I start thinking about it too much and my focus narrows down to the little things, I start to feel a bit anxious myself and I still have like 4+ months!
    I do better when I look at the bigger picture and remember what is REALLY important to me and that special day! Have you done that? I'm sure you have, but if you haven't maybe take a few moments with your fiancé and really think about what is the absolutely MOST important thing to you, your fiancé and that day?

Hang in there and remember to take care of yourself physically, mentally and emotionally!
  • Fitforevermore
    Options
    Thanks Marla! Yes fiancé has been talking about the big picture! So to add to this stress my dress came yesterday and I was really unhappy, feeling stupid for ordering it over the internet now. Luckily my neighbour is a seamstress and she came round last night, showed me how much better it would be with alterations and is doing them. Hope so!

In better news I'm now at 152.6 and into the 10 stones! 5 pounds to lose.......
  • brisingr86
    Options
    Not doing so hot on goals this week, but hopefully turning it around. So:

gr38cpcqt0vo.jpg
  • brisingr86
    Options
    SW: (April 28):150.2
    W1: (May 5): 151.8 DOH!

Goals: Be under 150 for all weigh-ins.
    Move: Actually get all the way through Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, 5x/week
    Menu Plan: Stick to 5:2/16:8 IF regimen and calorie goals
    Motivate: Post motivational stuff at least 3 times a week

This month is not off to a good start. Up about a pound and a half (hopefully some water weight there so should be able to get back down, but still some poor planning and will power). I haven't worked out at all this week and not likely to change today.
    I've been bad about logging some late snacks so think I've been pushing my IF and calorie goals. I can still get 3 motivational posts in so hopefully will at least make that for week 1.

There are a couple more days so I do want to push myself to workout tomorrow and over the weekend and then keep going to make Week 2 better (wouldn't take much) and really improve. I made poor decisions to gain immediate satisfaction (allowing that extra cookie before bed, pushing the snooze button again, etc) instead of focusing on where I want to be in (less than) 3 months and it's reflected on the scale and in the mirror. No excuses, I am where I chose to be and if I don't like that it is up to me to make different choices. May is still mine, even if I have not chosen to achieve my goals this week.

Sam, how are your runs and yoga going? I've seen some, but haven't counted and not sure if you always log them (or they show up). Saw some weight loss too that you're chipping away at those post-wedding pounds and pretty close to wedding weight.

Marla Jean, how about you? I miss your minute update posts! They remind me other busy people manage to do this and I really can too. Any luck sticking to your meal plans?

Jools, how are you holding up as the final countdown continues? Hoping you've found that happy place to be able to enjoy the last few weeks with most of the planning and such done. When will you get the alterations back on your dress? A good seamstress can do miracles even if your dress wasn't everything you pictured; sure it will be fine and you will be a gorgeous bride.

• brisingr86
    Options
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself Sarah! You've been through a lot recently - you need to be kind to your body!

Yoga and running are going well, thanks! I'm starting to see my upper abs - very motivating! Tomorrow we're supposed to be walking the Bermuda end-to-end - a 24 mile walk, and it's supposed to rain all day!

I'm still a few pounds off wedding weight - I really thought that once I got there it would be easy to maintain but one chocolate chip cookie turned into five, and it has been harder than I thought to stay on track. Nevertheless, the scale is finally moving back in the right direction and I'm still fitting into my smallest clothes so I'm feeling good! Perhaps post wedding gains are inevitable? Or maybe I was a bit too strict as the wedding approached, then had a bit of rebound gain? I'll be interested to see how you all get on, and hope others stick around post wedding.

Not long now for any of you!!
  • brisingr86
    Options
  • Fitforevermore
    Options
    Sarah you are doing amazing with the issues which came up over the last month!
    Marla, how are those workouts going?
    Sam, I wanted to ask how Bermuda was, I wasn't sure you had moved there yet. I'm close to wedding but not being overly strict, but I still foresee some rebound weight gain!!

My scale isn't really moving this week, but getting loads of complements in the gym and at the school gates so it is definitely showing now! Stress has now left me, but now just too excited for the wedding week! The only thing that could go wrong really is if it rains........ I will check my weigh in tomorrow, but I have a weekend of birthdays, mine and my son's so expecting a little damage!
  • Fitforevermore
    Options
    Scale did move!
    Sw 152.6
    W1 151.4
  • brisingr86
    Options
  • brisingr86
    Options
    Way to go Jools!
  • Fitforevermore
    Options
    Thanks! but did just have a three day weekend of birthday foods!!!! Good luck this week everyone.
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    SORRY MFPalz! Thanks for asking and checking on me!

Ok, so May has started out as a total bust for me :bawling:

Sunday, May 1st, I was experiencing some pretty intense pains in my right side and lower back; it hurt to inhale and for a good part of the day it just hurt. This is something I had never experienced before and the whole experience has been just WEIRD to say the least. I managed to make it through Sunday without going to the ER (contemplated it a couple times) but on Monday immediately went in to see my Nurse Practitioner. By then the pain had slightly eased up. To sum up, in my description to my NP I was basically clueless as to whether it was internal organs or deep muscular pain???

I had a UA and Blood work then got scheduled for a chest X-Ray and organ and abdominal ultra sounds...

To make a long story short all my test results (aside from my REALLY LOW iron, which is old news for me) came back normal :grey_question: over last week the pains turned into twinges that mostly occurred when I laid down flat on my back. Currently, it is sporadic and has eased up considerably and seems to now be going away.

Although, my NP still can't give me definitive answers we've pretty much deduced that it is a muscular issue and I just have to hope it doesn't come back. I did not do anything that I can recall to over exert, extend or damage myself. M'Luv is convinced it is because we need a new bed :lol: just love him!

Needless, to say I haven't done much of anything on my goals to Move, Menu Plan or Motivate because on top of this issue, my Grandfather died which meant I had lots of family stuff to attend to this past weekend, plus Mother's day AND my work which is CRAZY busy, along with being short staffed in several departments including mine so I am currently doing two jobs, which is putting me into extra hours so I guess you could say my plate is a little full currently.

We have a new person starting next Monday so I am trying to at least do some basic walking and paying attention to my food choices, but I doubt if I will get fully on board with my goals until next week, at least that is what I am shooting for :astonished:

glad to see those of you doing something! I hope all is well with you and I hope to be back at it REAL soon!
  • brisingr86
    Options
    :o:( Marla Jean, so sorry you're having such a bad start to your month. Deepest condolences on the loss of your grandfather. I know that's a tough loss and wishing you and your family peace during the difficult time. If it is muscular, maybe some alternating ice and heat in the evening or after workout if you can. Shouldn't hurt anything and maybe it would help. The luv could be on to something too. Hope the new person is able to take some of the load off next week (although I know there's often challenges with training a new person too so it's not always much help in the short term). Do what you can and hang in there!