Lose weight on meds???

Options
julbo
julbo Posts: 3 Member
Besides Sjogrens and a few other problems I also have POTS which for me means I'm on metoproprolol which slows my heart rate. I can't exercise hard enough because I pass out and my meds also frustrate losing weight. I've gained 85 pounds since I got sick and when I have logged calories religiously I lost 6 Oz in 2 months. The doc says it's meds, I believe I've pissed off the weight loss Gods....how have any of you found success?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I still just do calories in and calories out. so far so good.
    personally, i just moved less because i felt so cruddy but then i found if i move more and not really stop, i feel better overall
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I also can't exercise at the moment-- it flares the Myasthenia Gravis and I end up not breathing. I'm on high-dose steroids, which make you ravenously hungry if you're not careful.

I find that a low-carb program works best for me. It keeps the cravings at bay, and drops my appetite way down.

I have MFP set to just over my basal metabolic rate (or maybe my minimal metabolic rate, I forget. But I can get you the link if you want). I also have the "negative" exercise calories activated, so if I'm in bed all day the calories drop accordingly. If I can walk more, it tallies my Fitbit calories and adjusts accordingly.

Overall, I've been able to slowly lose with this method.

Don't lose hope! Be stubborn about your goals, but flexible in your methods. You'll find what works best for you!
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @Cheesey567 - I am interested in the BMR link if you can find it. Thank you!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Akgramma
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

You enter your weight, height, and age and it will calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate. Then you can enter your activity level, and it will give you an estimate of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

I calculated my sedentary TDEE at my goal weight, and use that as my daily calorie goal. I figure I'll work towards eating at my long-term maintenance calorie level, losing weight along the way and will be able to use the same meal plans now as I will then. (I don't stress if I go a little over that calorie-wise, because I know my TDEE is higher at my current weight, so I'll still lose weight.)
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @Cheesy567 - thank you. I will use this calculator and follow the good advice you gave me.