Weird Sync Issues with MFP to FitBit (exercise calories)?

Options
2»

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    @DoreenaV1975 : I don't log exercise either. Not in MFP and rarely in Fitbit. That's the point. MFP has a bug where it included "exercise calories" that you haven't logged in with your MyFitnessPal Calories burned number.

@bmele0 : That's a different bug. It's been getting me fairly often lately. I have no idea whether the problem is with MFP or Fitbit, but it makes more sense to me that it is a Fitbit bug. Like you, I just delete the extras.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I made a tech post for trouble on the effect of newer Fitbit daily burn not syncing over very often.

Response said my timezones were mismatched. Huh, never changed them.

I looked - both set to Central time - but one says GMT-5, other says GMT-6. MFP is incorrect during daylight savings time.

But Fitbit device and daily log show the correct time of activity.
    MFP manually created workout synced over to the correct time.

So still not sure if that was totally true, or indeed true and almost forced synces work alright, but the auto-ones are effected by it.

Not sure what to change to correct their view of the log files on my account saying mismatched time zones.

Strange.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    That is strange. I just checked my time zones. Both set to Mountain Time but MFP says GMT-7 and Fitbit says GMT-6. Arrgh! Should I change the time zone to force MFP to GMT-6?
  • heybales
    Options
    Wonder what happens for folks in AZ where they don't do DST?

I might be the guinea pig tonight and test changing MFP around.
    I'll check back here in case you do it first.

I don't think they are correct though on assessment it was wrong. Because even the adjustment details time stamp is correctly matching what Fitbit was at that time.
    I see none of the normal issues you'd get with mis-matched TZ's.

Shoot, only recent one was forgot who had their last 10 min calorie burn kinda of high - but it actually matched if MFP was doing 70 min left to day instead.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Just looking at yesterday, it looks right. MFP says they synced at 11:59 PM and the Fitbit calories burned agrees with Fitbit. I'm guessing that MFP is doing it right but has an incorrect label on the time zone setting screen. Most people (me included most of the time) don't pay attention to the "GMT-6" part, and just pick based on the name of the time zone and any location peculiarities (such as AZ). Plus, once it's set, they leave it and don't think about it.

I'm not planning on experimenting today, though. So, feel free to be the guinea pig.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Interesting - I made a tech post for trouble on the effect of newer Fitbit daily burn not syncing over very often.

Response said my timezones were mismatched. Huh, never changed them.

I looked - both set to Central time - but one says GMT-5, other says GMT-6. MFP is incorrect during daylight savings time.

But Fitbit device and daily log show the correct time of activity.
    MFP manually created workout synced over to the correct time.

So still not sure if that was totally true, or indeed true and almost forced synces work alright, but the auto-ones are effected by it.

Not sure what to change to correct their view of the log files on my account saying mismatched time zones.

Strange.

Heybales this is interesting because as we were discussing in another thread, MFP doesn't seem to be doing an end of day true up for me, and you suspected it was off by an hour, even though I didn't change any settings.

Did you change your time zone (GMT-5 vs GMT-6) or just note the inconsistency? I just looked and mine is the same, one shows 5 and one shows 6.

I have been hit by the random double adjustment bug... earlier today it was giving me too many calories, now it is giving me too few...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Wonder what happens for folks in AZ where they don't do DST?

I might be the guinea pig tonight and test changing MFP around.
    I'll check back here in case you do it first.

I don't think they are correct though on assessment it was wrong. Because even the adjustment details time stamp is correctly matching what Fitbit was at that time.
    I see none of the normal issues you'd get with mis-matched TZ's.

Shoot, only recent one was forgot who had their last 10 min calorie burn kinda of high - but it actually matched if MFP was doing 70 min left to day instead.

I think you are talking about me - I'm the one who has been having the issues with an estimate of calories burned toward end of day that overestimates the total calories burned, and I think my exercise adjustments are wrong as well.

I even had a couple of examples this week where my end of day adjustment was after midnight, but the numbers still were too high.

I think it must be related to the time zone issue, and I'm guessing you are right, it is something to do with daylight savings time. I don't know if we should change our MFP time zone to match FitBit (GMT-5) and then try to remember to readjust in October?
  • heybales
    Options
    This got me thinking about the phone aspect too, with the app. Which I don't use - but perhaps for others.

Phones get their time/date/timezone setting from the towers - unless you select manual override.
    This started with the feature phones that had not so complete schedule changing ability.

So some operators at the DST change instead of just changing the time to be correct, would accomplish the same thing by changing the timezone, leaving the time alone.
    Some smartphones hide the current settings, merely see the visual end result of the time. Have to uncheck auto-network time to see what it was using.

Well, it visually looks right, until you start scheduling appointments through an app with others in different timezone. Now the app is usually doing some math with timezones, and yours is wrong - so appointments show up wrong.
    Or correctly set appointments alarm at wrong time based on current location.

Most carriers are good at running audits on their towers to confirm the change happened, and correctly. Then manually correct towers that are wrong.

Well - you hope they do it right. Because moving into that wrong tower and doing a sync .....

It would be interesting to catch if the apps on device are syncing at certain times when connected to towers giving the wrong info.

There is some very flaky interactions going on when that happens.
    Like if you live near border of TZ and pickup towers and their settings on other side - which is usually attempted to be minimized, but still could happen in theory.
    But apps trying to use phone setting info, their own hard set setting, talking to other accounts with their own method and settings.

I think I'd need another cup of coffee to work out which direction this would need to be with possible interactions.