05/05 Thursday Day 5 SLBC

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
r25zdvd0i5hk.jpg

Spring Cleaning Project 1

We've all got small projects around the house that we've been meaning to get to. It might be reorganizing a closet, sweeping the garage, washing the car or something else. It's spring cleaning season so let's take a few times this month to finish that project and check it off the to-do list. You'll feel terrific afterwards!

Alternative Challenge: Instead of sitting while on the computer, put the laptop on the kitchen counter and stand! Or if you have a desktop take frequent breaks and walk around the house for a couple minutes.

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Cleaning up my closets today!
  • betsym3
    betsym3 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I will check off some of my to list items this month at home. I get up quite a bit at work and walk around the floor, but I will try to get up more often.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    De-clutterers Unite! You have got your challenge! :)
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Great timing for me. I'm still recovering from tax season and my house really needs some attention now. I'll tackle the desk and bookcase today (and maybe tomorrow if it's as bad as I think).
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    My list is overwhelming! But it needs to be tackled - even if it's just one baby step at a time. I'll work on checking at least one thing off each weekend this month - bonus points for anything I can check off during the week, too. Like the idea of putting my laptop on the kitchen counter - or at least catching up on emails on the iPad while standing instead of kicking back in the recliner.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,040 Member
    Options
    I shall organized something today. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. :)
  • karbruce
    karbruce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like this idea very much indeed. Will spring clean something when I get home from work tonight.
  • curleytop60
    curleytop60 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cleaning out my car. Not clutered just dusty.
  • hmrey76
    hmrey76 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    good idea! I will get those window sills cleaned!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    De-clutterers Unite! You have got your challenge! :)

:)

There are boxes all over my house - when I was laid off, I started a vague and disorganised project of sorting through and clearing out all the old junk we have stashed in various parts of the house. Those boxes have been piled up for quite a while now, because I got into the mindset of "I have plenty of time to do that - I'll do this other more fun thing instead!".

I need to start thinking more positively, and develop a mindset of "I could get a job any day now - I should finish this while I have time!"

Stand by, boxes... I'm comin' for ya!
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,725 Member
    Options
    OK... closet floor here I come! (right after I work!)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    This is a longish post, but since it's relevant to today's challenge, I thought I'd share.

I'm glad so many of you like this challenge. I can't recall a Boot Camp that had so many motivated cleaners and de-clutterers as we have this May. Awesome!

I'm very interested in habits, willpower, motivation, and procrastination and I read a lot on the subject and take as many webinars as I can from knowledgeable authorities on these subjects. One of the "themes" that has emerged is the trick to getting started is to make the time commitment very small. Bargain with yourself (if necessary) that you'll only spend 5 minutes, or 10 minutes, or 15 minutes doing the task at hand (or the habit or "one thing" you are trying to develop.) The hardest part is getting started. Once you begin, you may want to continue well beyond the time you first agreed to. But the biggest hurdle is getting started and that's where a small "time ask" can be a powerful incentive.

I've been thinking about this a lot. We all have goals we want to achieve and things we want to get done. I know some people will spend their whole Saturday cleaning out their garage or basement, but I would rather have a root canal than do that. So instead, I devote 15 minutes a day to cleaning my house. That 15 minutes a day is only 1% of my day but!.... and here's the magical part... 15 minutes a day done everyday become 7.5 hours a month or 91 hours a year. Plenty of time to clean or declutter.

I think the best way to achieve BIG results isn't through big changes, but rather through a whole slew of small changes and actions that we are willing to do over and over and over again. The magic happens at the micro level!
  • simplyme247
    simplyme247 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Organizing bedrooms and washing windows today
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Deep cleaning my bedroom tonight: declutter, vacuum, and dust! There is dog hair everywhere :open_mouth:
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This challenge is timely. Re-organizing my closet was on my to do list anyway - so that is what I will be working on the next day or 2.
  • achocolateaffair
    achocolateaffair Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm going to wash the windows!
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of 15 minutes a day. I often feel like my tasks are too overwhelming to complete. This would be a good way to chip away at something big.
  • memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of 15 minutes a day. I often feel like my tasks are too overwhelming to complete. This would be a good way to chip away at something big.

There are many days where I feel the same way. They have become less since I started realizing that I'm not and don't have to be "super woman" all the time.
  • memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just got home and will be going in to go thru a basket of clothes before I get in the shower.
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    15 minutes a day is an amazingly doable suggestion. Thanks themedalist!!! I have an extremely cluttered house that's been building up for years and my inability to move exasperated everything. I am adding this to my one thing list as well. This will be ongoing because it will take way longer than a month. Today I organized boxes of raffle basket donations (for the school) got them all done and ready to deliver.