How long on Phen?

Options
traceyinMI
traceyinMI Posts: 27 Member
Just curious-- I go back to the primary care doctor at the 3-month mark on Phen. Even at a 3lb/week average loss, I will still have a ways to go. I have low side effects and bp is good. I'm wondering if she will ok me continuing, if i'll take a break, or what is the normal procedure for continuing on Phen.

I have read varying things online--I believe that weighing risks, I would still be better off on the RX for another 3 months then stopping at the 3 month mark.

What has your doctor recommended?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    My doctor said I can stay on it up to six months depending on how well I am handling it. In some states they are required to stop you after three (or so I've read from some of my MFP friends).
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I am on day two. The Dr said he would take me off of it at 3 months, give me a 30 day break & start up again. I didn't ask about the legalities of how long I am allowed to be on it. I will ask the next time I go in. I'm in California
  • traceyinMI
    Options
    Thanks! I am going in mid-June. I'll let you guys know what happens!
  • Boise_Mom
    Boise_Mom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Been on for exactly 2 weeks. I haven't really had any side effects. They gave me another 4 weeks yesterday, so fingers crossed they go as well!
  • angie55575
    angie55575 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have my one month follow-up this next week, I'll let you know what my doctor says! I don't think that there's a time limit in Michigan, at least I hope not! I still have quite a bit to loose before I'm no longer considered "obese" (don't you hate that word?!)- and this really seems to be helping!
  • traceyinMI
    Options
    I just refilled my 3rd month, so I will be seeing my dr. mid-June. My bp is better than ever and i have obviously lost weight, so I am hopeful we continue. I have taken several days off so I'm not really concerned about taking a break but I'd rather just keep going and get this done. :-)
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing my doctor Tuesday and pretty much guaranteed my third refill.

I was really pleasantly surprised sticking to my calories was easy the two weeks I was off after surgery. I'm sure the pain and pain meds could have played a part in that, though!
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @traceyinMI & @MissusMoon, I'm glad you guys are doing well & got refills to help you continue on your journey
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just had my second follow up with my doctor, 6ish months on Phen. She doesn't like to put people on it for longer than that, and she said people around that time start to notice it stops having effect. I've started to forget to take it, actually, just because I don't really feel the need for it. I'm only half through this bottle and I have one more 30 day refill. I'll fill that and use it on days when I think I'm going to be overly challenged.

She was very pleased with my progress! 58 pounds down since my appointment in November.
  • angie55575
    Options
    My doctor gave me another script, and then I have another follow-up in a month. She said that I'm "ON FIRE!". EEK :)
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    traceyinMI wrote: »
    Just curious-- I go back to the primary care doctor at the 3-month mark on Phen. Even at a 3lb/week average loss, I will still have a ways to go. I have low side effects and bp is good. I'm wondering if she will ok me continuing, if i'll take a break, or what is the normal procedure for continuing on Phen.

I have read varying things online--I believe that weighing risks, I would still be better off on the RX for another 3 months then stopping at the 3 month mark.

What has your doctor recommended?

I'm 125 days in and have no intention of stopping anytime soon...I plan to go at least another 2-3 months before I reevaluate where I am at...At some point I am going to switch from cutting fat to building heavy muscle mass.. So far I've lost close to 40lbs
  • traceyinMI
    Options
    I go in for my 3-month dr. appointment tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what my doctor says about continuing on Phen, I never asked the question 3 months ago!

Today I tried on my "goal" jeans and first of all, they were TOO BIG and secondly, I didn't even like them anymore, hahaha! It was an awesome feeling because the scale is moving very slowly right now.

Keep up the good work, everyone!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Wow! Way to go! I hope I can say that in 3 months.
  • angie55575
    Options
    I had another follow-up with my doctor, she added Trokendi XR. Is anyone else on that?
  • traceyinMI
    Options
    angie55575 wrote: »
    I had another follow-up with my doctor, she added Trokendi XR. Is anyone else on that?

No-- what is it for?
  • traceyinMI
    Options
    Visit was good, on Phen for another 3 months. I was a little concerned- she said typically the first 3 months are your greatest weight loss, and to estimate cutting that in half for the next 3 months. That's hard to believe because I still have plenty to lose. I hope to prove that stat wrong!
  • angie55575
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @traceyinMI I've read that Trokendri XR is often prescribed with phentermine. I did tell my doctor that I hadn't really lost anything in almost two weeks, which is why she added it.

And heck yeah you can prove that stat wrong :)
  • angie55575
    Options
    @traceyinMI I forgot to add that Trokendri XR is marketed as a anti-seizure medication, but it often prescribed with phentermine for weight loss.
  • traceyinMI
    Options
    @angie55575 have you noticed a difference ?
  • angie55575
    Options
    @traceyinMI, a little bit? But nothing too drastic. For now, I think I'm going to just stick with phen and maybe reconsider adding it in a few months.