05/09 Monday Day 9 SLBC

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
r25zdvd0i5hk.jpg

Sitting Less at Work

Most of us sit a lot at work. For today's challenge, look for ways you can reduce your work-time sitting. Maybe walk over and talk with a co-worker rather than sending them an email? Have a walking meeting? Use a restroom on a different floor or further away than the restroom you normally use? Take the stairs and not the elevator? There are lots of possibilities! What ways can you sit less at work?

Alternative Challenge:
Try downloading podcasts/YouTube/TV shows to your mp3 player, phone or tablet. Then go on a wondering walk or pace the house while listening to it.

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great idea.
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've downloaded a few new podcasts to listen to on my walk today. Hopefully outside, but on the treadmill if the weather doesn't cooperate.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I'm glad both the main challenge and alternative challenge are useful to you! My favorite way to move at work is to go for a 15 walk twice a day with my co-worker Abby. We catch up, sometimes talking work stuff, sometimes not. I always feel better when I get back to my desk, more alert and re-energized, after our walks. I take these walks instead of a lunch break and for me it's a great trade-off.

Last week a woman who works in the adjacent building we typically walk in stopped me in the restroom and said "You are one of the women who walks regularly, aren't you? I think it's GREAT!" And we chatted for awhile. I hadn't really considered that our walks because they are so visible might be planting a seed in others to be a bit more active as well. I like that possibility a lot.

Happy Monday, Everyone!
  • betsym3
    betsym3 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I went to a Mother's day brunch yesterday. I tried to be good. I have only gained back about a half pound. Today, I'm back on track again. I plan to go for a walk today! Everyone have a good day!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,039 Member
    Options
    One way I manage is to park farther away and take the LONG way to the restroom. I'm always willing to run something to the switchboard or get up to unlock one of the rooms.

I just got my work assignment for the summer, and it will provide a real challenge for getting my steps in. I'm already thinking about how I'll manage getting my 250/hour on work days.
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm doing many of these things already at work. My one thing for this boot camp is to walk a mile during lunch. Got that done today. I walk to the restroom on a different floor and I get up to refill my water bottle often. I don't like to stand for meetings, but sometimes if I just need to listen to the meeting and not participate, I'll stand and clean/dust my desk while I listen. Just standing there though does not appeal to me... it feels awkward. Wishing we could have more walking meetings, but no one is in the same location and it would be too noisy to call in from my cell phone while walking. Luckily, my department doesn't mind frequent breaks, so sometimes I'll walk a mile in the morning as well, to go to the cafeteria for a light snack or a cup of water.

Lately it's been rainy, but I've still been getting my daily walk in. Most times I get more walking done at work than I do on my days off.
  • themedalist
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp, what sit-less way worked best for you today? @taxmom9093, hope you enjoyed the podcasts. @betsym3, I also went for a post-Mother Day's brunch walk today. @77tes, I have a feeling you'll have a game plan very soon for how you'll get your summer steps in. @meganepreston, it sounds like you're already sitting a lot less at work, good job on the walk. I also have an employer that supports movement breaks. Yay!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    For me taking the stairs more! Great way to boost my day!!
  • themedalist
    Options
    For me taking the stairs more! Great way to boost my day!!

Excellent!

• memery7
    memery7 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My day job is a lot of sitting but I have been making sure to get up and walk around a lot more and I have been parking farther away. I very seldom sit down at my night job but walk up and down the escalator.
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I will be using the stairs now that I am able to.