Clothes...

Options
valerieblaydes
valerieblaydes Posts: 158 Member
So, for me, losing weight has been a lifelong struggle. I have (I believe) a body that really prefers to be larger. I have, consequently, a wardrobe full of clothes in all the sizes smaller than my current size.

Each time I lose weight, I donate the fat clothes, but most of the skinny clothes are virtually unworn. As in, I live in a uniform most of my life, and in jeans and tshirts the rest. The nice, going out clothes will all be there waiting for me when I get there.

As I progress through this weight loss, I came up with a project that occupied a weekend. I sorted my whole closet by sizes like a retail store. Now I have stacks of clothes in each size down to 20 pounds before my goal. And I know exactly what to try on next, and next, and next.

I won't actually need many new clothes until I break the final plateau at 185 and start losing beyond that. But, this made me think of a couple of things...the stuff that starts to fit at, say, 220, will quickly be way too big at, say, 190. And that is happening to all of us. Some of us are in every size along the way, right? Some of you smaller ladies will be shedding your 10s and 12s for 6s, and folks like me will have 16s and 14s to donate. Anybody think a clothes swap could be a cool idea?

Maybe we could just post the item we're thinking of giving to goodwill, and if someone in the group is the right size, we just fold it in a cheap envelope and mail it the cheapest way. Nothing fancy. I don't have designer stuff, so I'm not going to sell it on a fashion swap site. But I'd rather give to a friend than a stranger.

Obviously if we do this, it's for stuff that's in good shape, not worn out and beat up...but I think it could be a nice idea because buying new clothes gets expensive. Also, for people like me who will pass through many sizes, it's an expense you know you're going to repeat.

I don't have anything that is too big yet, but I thought I'd start a thread and see if you guys like the idea...

Replies

• hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Worth considering. Most of my current size are jeans and t-shirts, capris, and jean or dressy cotton shorts with nice tops, but all in good shape.
  • valerieblaydes
    valerieblaydes Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my current size are beat up jeans and t shirts, but there are newish things in my next size pile, and I hope not to be there long.
  • kriskrossness
    kriskrossness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I like this idea, it could be really helpful. I haven't grown out of anything just yet, but will be soon I hope.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes that's a very sweet thought.
  • stesig13
    stesig13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have all my jeans and jackets and skirts waiting for me in smaller sizes.
    Soon I will wear them!
  • stesig13
    stesig13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    But I love your idea and I will donate all stuff that will b big on me very soon.
    I have good taste and all my clothes are in perfect condition, so I will offer you everything that will become big on me.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,322 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. I'm a pretty casual dresser as I work at home and have some dress clothes for church. I have clothes waiting for me that I will be in soon.
  • hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Size 18 is leaving my home forever (and maybe size 16) in mid-June. I will do an inventory close to that date and post some pics for those who may be interested.