Paleo Diet pros and cons

Options
stesig13
stesig13 Posts: 247 Member
I want to start seriously that diet and I think someone else is interested too.
I know nothing about this diet, I bought a book and returned it previously, didn't even read it.
Please enlighten me and share your personal knowledge .
Would I b able eat bread?protein bread?

Replies

• valerieblaydes
    valerieblaydes Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Paleo diet is no grains, no legumes, no tubers, no dairy. It's everything hunter gatherers ate--leafy greens, meat, eggs, and limited amounts of nuts and fruits. A lot of the same things that can be said for Atkins/Ketogenic diets apply: you greatly limit the number of potential allergens and inflammatory reactions by cutting out dairy and grains...but also you greatly limit carbs, which automatically reduces your calorie intake by removing one whole piece of the macro pie.

A lot of people are introduced to paleo through crossfit gyms. Crossfit devotees love paleo. It seems to be good fuel for people who really like to go hard in the gym--heavy lifting, triathletes, extreme athletes.

Not saying it isn't good for them, but it doesn't sound much like your lifestyle from what you've posted. Also, if bread is what you love, paleo breads are very limited, and most are pretty godawful and as much as $10/loaf. I have some gluten free cookbooks with paleo friendly breads, but the breads are denser, batter breads with a crumblier texture, more like banana bread. They are sliceable and toastable but expensive to make. In summation, paleo has gotta be the most expensive diet, and even stricter than Atkins in that you can't have dairy, in addition to giving up all the grains and potatoes.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Oh I don't think you would like Paleo Stella... far too restrictive.. Primal is slightly more lenient but even then you wouldn't be able to eat bread and pasta etc.. :)
    On low carb we do let ourselves have whatever we want as long as we are under our carb goal, be it ice cream, whatever. We also make low carb bread, pizzas, etc - it's a lot to get your head around cooking wise though..x
  • stesig13
    stesig13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thank you girls, it was extremely helpful
    I don't want Paleo
  • hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use some Paleo recipes, but not their eating plan.