Sit Less Resource #6: Your Brain and Activity

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups

One of the most interesting areas of research to me is how much our brains benefit from staying active. Sitting less and moving more has a BIG impact on the brain. Check this out:

6msx6ulnr6pi.jpg

Not only is the brain stimulated by movement, but regular activity may also slow the aging process, allowing older people to retain more of their mental functions. Here's an interesting article on the subject:
Exercise May Keep Your Brain 10 Years Younger, Study Suggests

Older adults who exercise regularly could buy an extra decade of good brain functioning, a new study suggests.
The study found that seniors who got moderate to intense exercise retained more of their mental skills over the next five years, versus older adults who got light exercise or none at all. On average, those less-active seniors showed an extra 10 years of "brain aging," the researchers said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/health/sportsmedicine/HealthDay709266_20160323_Exercise_May_Keep_Your_Brain_10_Years_Younger__Study_Suggests.html#Q71882AAfSq5SgAr.99

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,040 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! I want to keep my brain healthy even more than my body.
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow, it makes total sense. I need to try to keep my brain functioning as well as possible because I have MS. I have good days and bad.