What's comes after SL?

Options
ZRx4
ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
Hi all,

Tonight my workout buddy and I were talking about what comes after this program. I told her I didn't know and would look into it. So what comes next? We're 8 weeks in. I read some on 3x5, madcow and such. Could we just continue SL? Or do we need to add accessories? We're total noobs and haven't any idea. TIA

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You can continue SL for as long as you want. There is no time limit. As long as you are still progressing, you are good. Did you read the sticky at the top about intermediate programs?
  • ZRx4
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    You can continue SL for as long as you want. There is no time limit. As long as you are still progressing, you are good. Did you read the sticky at the top about intermediate programs?

Good to know! Yes, I did read the above info but was still unsure. Thanks!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    you don't even need to keep progressing if you don't want to ;) i've just crossed over to wendler, so i'm still motivated that way.

but i think i can see a point in the future where i'll be happy to just keep going to the gym and doing my x sets of y reps at z weight, whatever that turns out to be.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I did Ice Cream Fitness, which is basically SL with accessories. I didn't do it long and now I'm doing PHUL.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? That might play a role in the program you select.
  • ZRx4
    Options
    Sidesteel- I'd like to tone and lose fat. I have about 10-15 lbs to my goal. I like SL, I was just curious what happens after 12 weeks, since it's coming up. But it sound like you can continue or do another program.

Any good programs, you know of, I'd be interested in researching.

Sumiblue- gonna have to check out PHUL. THX!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    randeortiz wrote: »
    Sidesteel- I'd like to tone and lose fat. I have about 10-15 lbs to my goal. I like SL, I was just curious what happens after 12 weeks, since it's coming up. But it sound like you can continue or do another program.

Any good programs, you know of, I'd be interested in researching.

Sumiblue- gonna have to check out PHUL. THX!

There's honestly going to be a ton of effective programs for you. PHUL tends to be high volume at least if you're looking at Layne Norton's templates for it. High volume training and calorie deficits CAN be problematic but not always.

I would see what rate of progress you are making on SL at the end of 12 weeks. I would also see how you are doing as far as enjoyment of the program at the end of 12 weeks.

There could be merit in modifying the accessory portion of your program after an 8-12 week block for variety purposes and to take advantage of potential benefits of exercise variation.

If you are still progressing, and still enjoying SL, I would stick to it and just modify accessories.

Madcow/Texas Method are popular transition programs out of SL/Starting Strength.
  • ZRx4
    Options
    Sidesteel- Thanks for the info! So when you say rate of progress with SL, do you mean, progression in weight loss or strength growth? I really haven't had much of a loss, in inches or weight. I recently got a food scale to be accurate. I feel like my strength is growing pretty steadily tho.
    Squat- 45 to 85
    OHP- 45 to 55
    Bench- 45 to 80
    Rows- 45 to 80
    DL- 45 to 125
    We started out the SL program with dumbbells/ machines and maxed them out in 3-4 weeks. We then bought a weight set, had to deload a bit, cus you know, free weights was a bit different. But I've been happy with the growth. I do love the program and the simplicity of it.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    randeortiz wrote: »
    Sidesteel- Thanks for the info! So when you say rate of progress with SL, do you mean, progression in weight loss or strength growth? I really haven't had much of a loss, in inches or weight. I recently got a food scale to be accurate. I feel like my strength is growing pretty steadily tho.
    Squat- 45 to 85
    OHP- 45 to 55
    Bench- 45 to 80
    Rows- 45 to 80
    DL- 45 to 125
    We started out the SL program with dumbbells/ machines and maxed them out in 3-4 weeks. We then bought a weight set, had to deload a bit, cus you know, free weights was a bit different. But I've been happy with the growth. I do love the program and the simplicity of it.

Sorry, I'm strictly referring to progress in strength.

To be clear though, if the goal is fat loss you can maintain strength levels and monitor your diet/activity and lose fat just fine even if the program isn't getting you stronger.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Yeah, PHUL on deficit is probably going to be tough. I've been in maintenance since March.
    My workouts are almost always 90 minutes long.