What are good portion sizes.

Options
muscati
muscati Posts: 22 Member
Hi everyone. I am completing my forth week and have lost 22 pounds so far and I'm so excited! I am not in USA. Although I am American. I had my sleeve performed in Oman. Great doctors but the aftercare is nothing!
I don't even know when I should go again for a checkup!

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My doctor is having me see him 2 weeks, 3 mos, 6 mos and a year post op. Had my surgery just about 4 weeks ago (April 18th).

At this stage I believe we should be at 4 oz or 1/2 cup but I can't get much in..ground meats are not sitting well with me and my protein shakes are now too sweet for me.

I would maybe check with your surgeon since all doctors are different. Hope you are doing well!
  • char_barr
    char_barr Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 4 weeks out and my portion size is 2-3 tbs soft protein and 1 tbs pureed fruit/veg. Eat protein first and then veg if possible. No more than 4oz at a time. Then still 3 protein drinks a day spaced out 2hr 45min after eating.

My dr visits were /are / will be 1 Week post, 3 week post, 6 week post then I'm not sure but I know I will see him regularly until 1 year; and then annually after that. He also has a support group that meets 1x a month.

Best of luck with your recovery!!!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Focus on your protein. Eat slowly and pay attention for "full". You really want to make sure you are getting 40 - 60 grams of protein daily, more if you can. My surgeon shifted the phases much slower than most, so by that time I was just moving to pureed foods.

Think about ground meats, avoiding pork and beef because they tend to be rougher on people in the beginning. If you do ok with ground chicken and turkey, you can try the pork and beef if you'd like.

Tuna was a great option for me at that point, and canned chicken. Cottage cheese and yogurt were both really good.

I would take frozen spinach, add a wedge of laughing cow cheese (just a bit of a soft, creamy cheese would work) and microwave it into a "creamed" spinach.

My follow-ups were at 1, 2, 4, and 8 weeks, 4 months and just now at 7 months...I see him again at 1 year.

If you need specifics related to types of foods, please ask. My book is at home and I can take pictures of the lists if you'd like!