Frustrated!

Options
fakeittomakeit
fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
I'm in my 4th week of crossfit and I love it!!! I am frustrated with myself because I feel as though I'm not pushing myself enough. Today we did back squats and ring dips (I did box dips). In order for me to do the deep squat properly I barely lifted any weight. My coach said that it's much more important to get the motion right and the weight will come, but I still feel like a failure. I have definitely found the deep squat in lifting to be the most difficult thing for me to do. I guess I'm hoping for others to share their similar experiences with crossfit. I record all my workouts and hope to increase the weight each time. Thanks for letting me vent.: )

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You have a good coach. Form first, then increase weight. You will be surprised how quickly things improve once you get form down.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    range of motion first!!!
    make sure you can keep your back flat and get comfortable with the motion before you add weight. If you add weight while you are tight you will injure yourself.

stay strong and patient.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration. Before I started crossfit, I was DL 95kg, now I practice clean and jerks with a girls bar with 5kg plates because I don't have the range in my hips yet. BUT, I feel sooo privileged to be learning from trainers that know what their doing and who are coaching me properly so I don't injure myself. Form first, weight later. The more your practice, the better you'll get.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for about a year and a half. When I first started I sucked . . . BAD! Not kidding. My fitness level was ****. Cardio nonexistent. Because of a shoulder injury I couldn't even do 1 pushup - ONE! My trainer/coach scaled most of my routines to fit my fitness level and strength and range of motion at the time. But what a difference a year makes! Now I can rock out over 30 hand release pushups without stopping, do unassisted pull ups and today I did my very first Handstand push up and wall climbs!
    I'm a very competitive person so the hardest part for me was seeing these younger kids do what I couldn't because I felt like I had to compete and keep up with them. It took me a little while to realize the only person I'm competing with is ME. I push myself every single workout to better my last time or weight, one more rep., one fewer rest. Now - seriously - I can keep pace with my trainer!

The point is it will come. And I will second or third what has already been said. Proper form and range of motion is first - weight is second!
  • fakeittomakeit
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and for sharing your stories. I'm thinking that I may take some time after WOD's to practice my back squats, even if it's only 5-10 each time. As you know, it may takes weeks to see the same move/lift/WOD again. I will push myself, but in a smart way. Thanks for the inspiration!! :smile:
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    I started in March and am just finally able to do a full (weighted) squat without any plate or ball under my butt. I get full range.

Again...it is only with weight. And I actually need it to be a bit of weight. Yesterday I tried to see if I could goblet squat with only 18 and I couldn't. I need the 35# as a counter weight.... Yesterday's strength piece was the front squat and I hit 105 with full depth for the first time.

Be patient. You will get it and then it will be a sweet sweet victory!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    go to mobilitywod.com and work on your mobility at home if you can also! also i try to get to the gym a bit early to work on specific mobility needed for the days workout, and spend a little time after working on what i know are my "sticky spots" (my lats and internal rotation :))
  • jascar7
    jascar7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ask for stretches/excercises that can help. My guy gave several that I can do before/after wods and at home-it seems to be helping with my squat
  • fakeittomakeit
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will definitely work on stretching and my mobility. : )
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The key to good lifting is flexibility and technique. Do not feel like a failure even if you are using an empty bar. Good lifting takes time and practice. My Oly coach suggested just doing stretching and flexibility work while I'm sitting around the house, watching TV, etc., especially in the wrists. Another tip was to focus on form even when just doing simple things like bending down to pick something up. Instead of bending over at the hip, do a proper squat form to pick it up. It's not only safer for your back, but helps reinforce good squat form.

All your movements will come with time. No CrossFitter ever walked into a Box Day 1 and was perfect. Keep going!