Florida Heat!

Options
mommarnurse
mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
Lifelong Floridian here - still don't tolerate the heat too well. Even in the morning and evening, it's getting unbearable. And I am not a fan of the treadmill. So, I guess I'm wondering how to beat the heat? I run average 10-20 miles per week, only on my 3 days off of worsk as I work 12 hr shifts x4 days per week and have a family. I don't have anything to train for except planning on doing Key West half marathon in Jan. Anyone think if I do more treadmill 3 milers 3-4 days a week this will mess up my running - then I can start training harder come fall?

Replies

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt to the heat & humidity after 3-4 weeks of running in it, the key is to slow down. While I live in Kansas, we get 85%+ humidity with temps in the high 70's and low 80's as early as the sun comes up. Typically the humidity is worse in the morning but the heat is worse in the afternoon & evening so you gotta pick your poison. Treadmill running is fine but the better option is to find a good indoor track when it gets too unbearable. All of our YMCA's have them, some as long as 6 lap for a mile. A January half is a long ways offs and you probably will not start "training" until late September, just try to have a good 20+ mile base back by then if you can't get in the miles over the summer. My experience is that summer training makes for much faster winter times.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    Your body will adapt to the heat & humidity after 3-4 weeks of running in it, the key is to slow down. While I live in Kansas, we get 85%+ humidity with temps in the high 70's and low 80's as early as the sun comes up. Typically the humidity is worse in the morning but the heat is worse in the afternoon & evening so you gotta pick your poison. Treadmill running is fine but the better option is to find a good indoor track when it gets too unbearable. All of our YMCA's have them, some as long as 6 lap for a mile. A January half is a long ways offs and you probably will not start "training" until late September, just try to have a good 20+ mile base back by then if you can't get in the miles over the summer. My experience is that summer training makes for much faster winter times.

Thanks for the reply. I wish there was an indoor track here - there's just not. I'm going to have to do more night runs or something.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I feel you. I'm in Houston, and it's hot, but honestly, our heat isn't as bad as the humidity. So if I run in the morning, I'm MISERABLE, even if it's "cooler". Plus I'm just not a morning person. I do better running at night, like 9:00 at night, but then I don't sleep as well.

My gym has an indoor track, which I like a whole heck of a lot better than the treadmill, but it's still not my favorite thing. Mostly, if a treadmill is what you've got, then I'd probably run on the treadmill, but try to get in one outdoor run per week.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I'm in northern Alabama. I used to hate running in the heat and humidity until I found out what it can do to my running. I kept at it diligently all summer long, suffering and cursing every bit of it, until that first cool morning in September. That morning I ran quicker I ever did in my life. From then on out I embraced the summer heat. Sick as it sounds, I look forward to it. (kind of)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    acclimate. I live in California now, but for about 15 years between 2000-2015 I lived on the south gulf coast, and central Florida. I would bang out 12+ milers in mid-summer mid-day heat without much issue. just hydrate before and after. i'm not big on hydrating during, i've never felt it very necessary to stop for a water break on my runs. I actually miss that heat and humidity now lol!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I'm in northern Alabama. I used to hate running in the heat and humidity until I found out what it can do to my running. I kept at it diligently all summer long, suffering and cursing every bit of it, until that first cool morning in September. That morning I ran quicker I ever did in my life. From then on out I embraced the summer heat. Sick as it sounds, I look forward to it. (kind of)

Truth!