Birth Control, Periods and Keto

Options
kenzietate
kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
Good morning ladies,

I have posted a couple of times in the reddit forum but I just found this group here today! So hello! I have a question that you might be able to help me with.

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) when I was 18 (I'm 23 now) and I was immediately put on birth control. I have always hated being on it and though my time of the month has been more regular it was still never completely right. I have been on at least 4 different ones and none of them made me feel any better for sure. I have seen so many women controlling their PCOS naturally and/or without BC and I have wanted to be one of them for a long time. I just moved to a new area and I wasn't able to get an appt with a doctor before I ran out of my BC prescription which was supposed to end this week (they wouldn't extend it without a pap b/c I am in a high risk category). So I figured...well this is when I am supposed to get off BC. I have seen this coming for the last two months. A month ago I switched from eating Low GI to keto and I LOVE IT!! The scale is finally going down! Not to mention I feel better, my blood sugar isn't going crazy all day, and I have actually had to reduce my metformin dosage b/c it was dropping my blood sugar too low! I have read that for women with PCOS and really, women in general who are on the ketogenic diet, see fluctuation in their periods. Well I started last week even though I wasn't supposed to start until this week (I was still on the regular pills, not the period pills). So my BC says that if you start early, just switch immediately to the period pills and then start a new pack when you run out. Well since i don't have a new pack, I can't do that. I won't have a Dr.s appt until August. For those ladies who have stopped their BC, was the transition difficult? Were there any side effects? I have been ready to stop for months but now that it is here, I'm not going to lie...I'm a bit nervous! I have been taking hormone filled pills for 5 years and now I am not. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!