Feedback on Ragnar Relay

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
Several members of my tri training group have been pushing the idea of signing up for next year's Ragnar Relay event in Cape Cod, Mass. Right now, our group's informal social director is proposing that we sign up as a team of 6 runners.

Since I've never done a Ragnar, I checked out the site. I can't quite figure out if this is a serious race, a social event, or a little of both (which is what I suspect it is). So I'm hoping to get feedback from people who have done the race before I agree to join in the fun. Any comments or guidance would be useful.

For reference, I'm not a marathoner, but am comfortable at the HM distance, having done 2 open HM's last fall. Thanks.

Replies

• codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've done the Ragnar Wasatchback for two years now, doing it again in about a month. The company I work for usually puts together a team or two. It's a mixutre of serious and social. I think it's like summer camp for adults! And you don't actually have to be a runner to participate; we see people of all shapes, sizes, and abilities.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Summer camp for adults! I like that. :smile:

I also spoke to another guy in our tri club who entered and ran as part of an ultra team of 6 runners. They focused on winning, so it was roughly 33 miles run by each team member over the 28:44 time it took to finish the course. They finished second in the masters division. That's a little aggressive for my liking. I think joining a 12 runner team would make more sense for the first time, so that will be my plan.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any but I know a few people who just did the Cape Cod Ragnar and had a great time. The key seems to be to make sure everyone on your team has very similar goals. Their goals were mainly to have fun, so no one was allowed to be too serious (although they are all pretty good runners I'm sure). The person I talked to said it was really fun and beautiful, plus lobster after!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    @katharmonic. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding having similar goals. With that said, we can be a fairly competitive bunch at times, so I think I'll suggest a 12 person team and a "fun first" vs racing focused approach.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I did the Napa Valley Ragnar last autumn and had a lot of fun, but found it to be pretty disorganized/frustrating from an organizational standpoint, especially considering how established the Ragnar name is. (Overall leg distances changing significantly at the last minute, no support available at the times you most need it, poor communication in general post-sign-up, etc)

I have a coworker who just ran the Cape Cod event this year as part of an ultra team and had a blast - she's previously been more of a half-marathoner, as well, and ran 29 miles over the weekend.

Managing expectations within the team is definitely a good idea - we had a variety of paces in our team when I ran, and all had a good time; those of us who are more into racing simply set more personal goals (catch up to X team, beat Y pace, etc).
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    alikonda wrote: »
    (Overall leg distances changing significantly at the last minute, no support available at the times you most need it, poor communication in general post-sign-up, etc)

This happens during the Wasatch Back Ragnar almost every year. The first year I ran, after I had started my last leg, they added an extra mile and moved the water station, but since I had already started I had no clue!