Cheat day or cheat meal

Options
pmason79
pmason79 Posts: 93 Member
Hi all just thought I'd ask for everyone's take on cheating, free days or what ever you call those times when you eat what ever your hungry heart desires.

Me... I used to have whole cheat weekends no holds barred, I'm sure I sub consiously challenged myself to eat more in those 2 days than I had the other 5. This time around I've decided to reign things in and I allow myself one cheat meal on whatever day suits my plans. So far so good. I'm learning that I don't have to stiff myself either, just pick something I really love and savour every bite.

I'm interested to hear your strategies.

Bless x

Replies

• LoveLifeLiveHealthy
    LoveLifeLiveHealthy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is a hard one for me. If I don't allow a free day, I feel deprived and have more cravings. If I allow myself a cheat day, I think it is a free for all and use it more as a binge day. I like your idea of just making a free meal rather than a day.
  • sigsigsputnik
    sigsigsputnik Posts: 37 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    yes, same for me. i like the idea of the little extra once in a while. my new approach since last weekend. don't make it a 'free day', but a 'maintenance day' = yeah a few pints and a pack of crisps, but no fatty burgers on the way home. ;)
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a maintenance day. I am on the plan to lose 1 lb a week, so if I were eating at maintenance I would have an extra 500 calories. On a maintenance day I could stack as I want or save it one one big dinner and dessert.
  • sureitstime
    sureitstime Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal because for me there is only so much I can eat at a single sitting. And this way I can control the damage. Otherwise I can keep munching the entire day!
  • Yav531
    Yav531 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to do a cheat meal once a week so I'm not craving anything. I usually do it for Sunday dinners :) I use to do a cheat day which turned into the whole weekend. I felt I wasn't seeing as much results because I was taking in so many calories on the weekends. Cheat days didn't work for me because I was just eating too much lol
  • PeacefulUnicorn
    PeacefulUnicorn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me, I stick to a cheat meal, but it is pre-planned. For instance, I'll say ... okay, I'm having pizza on Saturday with the family, so I know I need to be "clean" until then. A cheat day turns into a week for me, and then im usually back to square 1.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I try to do a cheat meal but then we are usually out doing stuff every weekend now and it is so hard if we eat multiple times before going home. So it usually turns into a cheat day.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Rather than "cheating" I prefer to regularly work treats and favorite foods in with my goals. There are times it can't be made to completely fit, but I still get as close as I can.
  • HarperAnn6
    HarperAnn6 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    sigsigsputnik, I like the idea of a maintenance day. If I am having difficulty staying on plan or if I hit a weight plateau, I sometimes take the pressure off myself by just working to maintain my weight. Then the rough patch passes, and I can resume weight loss.

I have two "treats" a week. We make homemade pizza once a week, and I also enjoy dessert once a week. I do measure the dessert to keep it at a serving (sometimes I eat ice-cream right out of the measuring cup to keep myself honest).
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    i try to have whats called mini-cheats and if I go for a big cheat well, it's gonna cost me. As of the start of this group I also started an accountability jar, which means everytime I wanna cheat big, like cupcakes, cakes,mcdonalds, I have to put $1 into it per the amount of food I am eating. 1 cupcake = $1 and so on. Havn't snacked this week yet! LOL But if I do cheat it's gonna be on a day where i'm doing legs and back or some high volume crap where the extra carbs are needed. I try to make sure to never cheat on a rest day and if work is having a potluck where cheatmeals are abundant, I make sure to meet my macro minimums for the day and then hope for the best! XD