05/25 Wednesday Day 25 SLBC

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
1oynypu9gtom.jpg

Let's Plan an Active Vacation

With summer almost here, many of us are thinking about our summer vacation. Nothing wrong with sitting around a pool (we love doing that!) but there are all kinds of ways to take an “active” vacation and do something we've always wanted to do and keep moving while doing it. Hiking and trekking tours, rock climbing, kayaking, sailing vacations, walking tours, culinary tours, and yoga retreats are just some of the many possibilities. Today's challenge is to spend some time researching possibilities...Google “active vacations” as a starting point. What grabs you? Even if your budget doesn't support an adventure cruise to an exotic location, there really are lots of low cost options too (How about a camping and hiking weekend?). Tell us! Whatcha got planned?

Alternative Challenge: If you have young children or grandchildren, get up and play with them and have active story times. Get up and BECOME the villain or the hero. Become the one person actor in that play!

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Funny how now when I go on vacation I take workout clothes. Great post!! Thank you!!
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My one mini vacation this year involved a stay at a cabin in a state park and lots of hiking. I am still trying to fit in another vacation, but more time out in the woods or the mountains sounds like a great idea. This redhead doesn't really enjoy much sitting around the pool or on the beach, the resulting sunburn, even with sunscreen, is not my idea of fun.
  • betsym3
    betsym3 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a vacation coming up at the end of June. I hope to do some hiking up to a tower that my husband I have planned on hiking up to. I think there is a beautiful view of the lake from the tower, and we want to find out! I also plan on touring an art gallery in Portland, Maine during that vacation. The rest of the time will be spent doing other things. Hopefully, lots of walking will take place.

I have a grandson that I bought a basketball for. Maybe, when he comes over I could shoot some hoops with him. Have a great day everyone!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,039 Member
    Options
    Great challenge! I need to do this. My husband would like to take several day trips as soon as my semester is over, and I need to plan several. The challenge - hubby is all about driving and I'm about doing active things, but we'll figure it out.
  • hollyhock1009
    hollyhock1009 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been working on it.
    I already signed up to go on a garden tour in my neighbourhood (11 gardens) mid-June, and a friend is going with me.
    Last week I joined our local extensive gardens with adjoining hiking trails, I got a senior membership with 1 guest, so for the next year I can get in and have free parking too, any time anyone (friends or family) are free.
    Plans are in the works for me to join my son and his in-laws for a 3 or 4 day weekend at a family cottage. They are all fitness buffs, and the beach is 2 blocks away so I'm sure we'll get some walking in. (I'm also planning to pack some Leslie Sansone DVD's just in case). I have not been on any holiday for way too many years.
    Grandson turns 8 months this week, and his weight is increasing, so just carrying him gives me a workout.
    I also plan to walk up to the farmers' market near here once or twice a week - double bonus, nice fresh food and extra steps.
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'll be camping for 8 days with my adult kids at the end of June. That always includes walks and swimming. In August, my husband and I go to a cabin near Yosemite. We take our kayaks and do a lot of hiking in the mountains. Both are very active vacations.
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Camping for memorial day weekend at a campsite with LOTS of trails. Also, a beach. Because, you know, balance

:sunglasses:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I love hearing all your active plans! To me, the real benefits of sitting less is that you end up living more. You DO things rather than WATCH things happen. I'm pretty sure no one gets to the end of their life and thinks "I'm really glad I watched as much TV as I did".

• HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I will do at least one day trip hiking. When my adult son was younger, I was a Boy Scout Leader in a very active troop. We did so many fun outdoors activities -- camping, hiking, canoing...it was so much fun!!
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for vacation. We have rented the same cottage as last year for 2 weeks. I am really looking forward to swimming more, walking and kayaking. I will be able to DO these things this year instead of just WATCHING them.