Pick our next Team Challenge (all fitness levels welcome)

Options
BigChangeNeeded
BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
So, Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm after your opinions for our next big Team Challenge.

Those who are new to this group, or new to the idea of Team Challenges, if you'd like to see what we've done before, check out Challenge One, and Challenge Two.

In short, Challenge One saw us walk 273.40 miles together over two weeks in April. We did a virtual walk along a section of the Australian coast, complete with pictures.

Challenge Two, which is in its final week, has us attempting to walk the length of Great Britain. So far, we've done an amazing 681.63 miles together, that's 1,536,316 steps! Yes ,that's right, over 1.5 million steps so far.

lwr5hgynf767.jpg

But, its time to decide the next challenge.

Some member discussed bigger and better challenges in an old thread, but we didn't really come to a decision. I'd love to see lots of us taking part, so I'd like input from you all. What do you feel like trying?

These 'virtual walks' really are for anyone of any fitness level. Its more about having a bit of fun, and maybe seeing some improvements in your own statistics and fitness. You can do as much or as little as you like. I can convert any any exercise into miles if you don't have a gadget that will track for you (the joys of the internet!)

From a personal perspective, this keeps me on track with my exercise. And I love posting pictures of the nice places we've 'visited' on the walks, and cheering people on. I'm also personally willing to do the spreadsheets, tracking, updating etc. If anyone else would like to help, the more the merrier.

We can do another fortnight challenge, a month challenge, or something bigger (anyone fancy a walk around the world?). I'm willing to share some examples, if you folks can give me an idea of what you might be interested in.

Replies

• audrey13027
    audrey13027 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    :) I will ponder the possibilities & add my .02 cents later...thanks SO much for doing this, you really rock! :D
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options

@BigChangeNeeded
    I've no idea but did you mean we can do another kind of exercise & you can convert to miles as I cant walk much - knee & foot issues ??
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Yep, that's what I mean. Be it swimming, chair dancing, or otherwise, I've got a couple of sites/forms that I use to calculate an approximate step count, which I then convert to miles/kms.
  • jesscoll317
    jesscoll317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like doing different countries. Especially those of our members here. I liked reading about the cute little town in England that you (Jenni) love so much when we passed through it.

Maybe we can choose one of the participants' states or countries each month?
  • audrey13027
    Options
    I like doing different countries. Especially those of our members here. I liked reading about the cute little town in England that you (Jenni) love so much when we passed through it.

I like this idea Jess! :)

I think that moderate 2-4 week challenges are great simply because we have a better chance of completing them in the time allotted (which is supremely satisfying) and perhaps, it may be easier to stay focused on shorter-termed goals.
    Regardless of what we choose, I'm in! :D
  • BigChangeNeeded
    edited June 2016
    Options

I really like this idea! I'm definitely up for trying this.
    If people want to share what country/state their from, I can see if there are some pre-planned routes, or I'd be happy to make some for us. On the walk, if people know some local info on towns or historical sites, they could give us a little post about it (only if they felt like it).

Australia was our first walk, and we've just done Britain (end-to-end), so shout out some other locations, and I'll get it sorted.

I'll have a look at some options, and post some here for you good folk to choose from. I'm happy to set some things up ahead of time, so that if we want to keep things rolling, we can.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Ok, because I'm a list/spreadsheet addict, with clearly nothing better to do, I've made a list of all the option available on the World Walking site that we haven't done.

There are city options, country options, options with various countries and so on. Some are looooonnnnng, and some are short enough for you to challenge yourself to complete.

Here's the link to the list: Walk Options

In the last column, if you are interested in doing any of the walks, please pop your username in there. If someone else has already written in there, just add yours on.

I'm willing to set up any that people are interested in, so let me know what you think.
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Machu Picchu is achievable for me in a month on my own if I am reading right as around 50miles. As a group on longer walk with combined totals it is hard to choose because what is achievable very much depends on numbers participating and individual activity levels. Maybe if we pick a long walk target we could have it open ended and just keep going until we reach target number of Miles.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I sooo like this idea. I will check it out and come back.
  • sharondjs
    Options
    I dont really understand but count me in anyway lol and tell me what to do :smile:
  • sharondjs
    Options
    Ok so just had a look at your uk trip Lightbulb moment :blush: get it now when are we starting ??
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    ... As a group on longer walk with combined totals it is hard to choose because what is achievable very much depends on numbers participating and individual activity levels. Maybe if we pick a long walk target we could have it open ended and just keep going until we reach target number of Miles.

Yep, this is definitely something to consider. We get around 6 or 7 people taking part usually, with a few extras filling in as and when they can.

I've added my initials to a few walks of different lengths. There are some that would make for great 24 hour challenges, some for a week, two weeks, a month, and perhaps ongoing.

I will happily set up whatever people want to do.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to make an executive decision later today with regard to the next challenge, so if you have a preference, please post here or pop your name on the spreadsheet (this one)
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Ok, so here's the plan, folks.

I'm going to set up three challenges for the coming months - a weekend challenge, a one week challenge, and a one month challenge.

I'm basing the new challenges on the number of participants, and steps walked, in the previous challenges.

First up... The Weekend Challenge - Machu Picchu. The aim will be to walk, as a team, 49.17 miles in a weekend. This should be achievable, as we're hit this rate in previous challenges.

Next, The One Week Challenge - Treasures of Tuscany. This walk is 128.82 miles long, which at one week puts us at around 18 miles per day as a team. Again, this is achievable for us.

The next month long challenge is where I'm unsure of what to do. Challenge Two saw us walk 750 miles together in a month, which was really amazing. The bit I'm unsure of is whether to aim for the same range, or push a little further. Challenge Two was for 988 miles, which was a little ambitious, I admit.

My instinct is to opt for one of the following:

Italy - 720.99 miles
    Texas - 751.80 miles
    Poland - 792.21 miles

The next walk up is Iceland, at 933.72 miles, which we could aim for, but it might mean getting our serious shoes on and going for it. What dya think, folks?
  • audrey13027
    Options
    Love it! :)
    Long challenge preference #1 for me would be Italy (only because I spent a week there once & loved it!). Preference #2 would be Texas (maybe Jess could give a bit of travel commentary as that's her home now).
    Regardless, I'm "down with" whatever we choose! :D
  • sharondjs
    Options
    Italy would fabulous having not been there and I'm in for all 3 as long as I can do gym classes instead I walk between 3000 and 5000 steps a day but only for work not exercise
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Ok, lets go with Italy then :smiley:

Challenge Two is 89% done, so I'll get some of the work started for the two short challenges, and we'll build up to Italy, which we should be able to start at the beginning of next month (fingers x-ed).
  • jesscoll317
    jesscoll317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Italy sounds great! I'm willing to picture post Texas if we do it next. Sorry for the delayed reply...busy week here.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Right now with pending back surgery, I doubt I will be able to commit to walks like above. I will be challenging myself daily to do better than the day before. hopefully walking a few miles a day by the time I go back to work.

I will however be your cheerleader cheering each and everyone on!!!
  • audrey13027
    Options
    Fantastico!! :)
    Right now with pending back surgery...

Good luck with the surgery & recuperation Cari!