05/31 Tuesday Day 31 SLBC

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
1oynypu9gtom.jpg

Next Steps & Survey

As our Sit Less Boot Camp challenge draws to a close, it's a good time to think about what comes next. How is your transition out of the chair going? Are you sitting less and moving more? Are you still practicing your “One Thing” or has it become a habit you just do now without thinking? There are lots of ways to build on the foundation you've established this month and keep on moving. Check out the Next Steps page on Quitting the Sitting for additional links and resources: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/next-steps.html

Finally, please take a few minutes to fill out the on-line evaluation survey and tell us what you liked (or didn't like) and how we can improve Sit Less Boot Camp. The survey form is here:

http://www.quittingthesitting.org/sit-less-boot-camp-evaluation.html

Your comments, ideas, suggestions are most welcome and appreciated!!

Thanks for being part of Sit Less Boot Camp!!!

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion for those of you who are interested in creating a few new habits in your life that will move you closer to your goals. As I mentioned on the Next Steps page, Standford researcher BJ Fogg has developed a one week online class (that's free!) that can help people build tiny habits. What's a tiny habit? I believe he defines it as a habit that will take you less than 30 seconds to do. I used Tiny Habits to develop the habit of standing up and walking around around every time my phone rings. There are all kinds of tiny habits (sit-less and otherwise) that could be developed using this program. And it's fun to do!

Dr. Fogg's science-based Tiny Habits program has helped more than 40,000 people develop new and workable habits. A new class starts every Monday and it typically takes about 5 minutes a day.

Learn more from the website: tinyhabits.com
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thank *you both* for hosting the Sit Less Boot Camp!!

I am definitely sitting less and moving more. I'm a software engineer, so I (used to) sit still for long periods of time staring at a computer screen, to the point that when I would stand up, I'd have cramps and have to stretch a bit to stand up straight. One thing that I always tried to do in the past, and knew I should do, was to move around every hour. Thanks to this boot camp, I am now doing that. That was my "one thing"...doing something to move each hour. It kind of evolved over the course of the month, and I'm quite happy with it now. Now, every other hour at work I will walk around, and every other hour I will go up and down two sets of stairs. Having my Fitbit helps me to track it, and I know if I missed an hour.

I am doing better at home, too. If I go to the kitchen from the den, I will walk the extra distance to the back door, for example. Or if I go out to get the mail, I will walk past a couple houses and back.

Two comments:
    1) being conscious of moving more is important. I always knew I should do it, but I never thought about it until this month.
    2) once I start getting up and not sitting, I usually move around more than I intended -- getting up is the important part!

I'm making it a point to continue this past today. I wonder how my blood work will improve the next time I go to the doctor's office? Or heart rate, or something quantifiable. I can't wait to see!! :smiley:
  • jlperiard
    jlperiard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am definitely moving more now. I believe that tiny habits are possible. I am seeing a change in my behaviour as well: getting up to get things instead of asking others, getting up and putting stuff away. This has 2 benefits- I move more and decrease the clutter
    I am, in general, thinking more I can instead of I can't. This is happening now because of the awareness of my weight loss and the subsequent ability for me to move around easier.