First road bike - women's specific

Options
2»

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    White tape rocks... it just sort of looks...well - Pro, I suppose... Mainly because to keep up to it you need a mechanic who re-tapes the bars every day for you... :laugh:
  • zummerzet_lou
    zummerzet_lou Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Good choice ...

I have a Giant Avail Alliance (half carbon), and even after 3 years riding it I still love it :-)
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    White tape rocks... it just sort of looks...well - Pro, I suppose... Mainly because to keep up to it you need a mechanic who re-tapes the bars every day for you... :laugh:

I got myself some baby wipes yesterday as per your top tip to keep the white tape white!!
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Good choice ...

I have a Giant Avail Alliance (half carbon), and even after 3 years riding it I still love it :-)

That's good to know :-D
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Well, took my new bike on its inaugural ride today and commuted into work on it. My verdict is that I absolutely LOVE it !!

It made light work of the hills, I found I was up them before I'd even noticed. I took a bit of time on the flat bits to ride a bit slower and get used to the gear changing and the different riding positions, with it being my first time using drop handlebars. Even with taking my time I still knocked a minute off my time and got in with an average of 12.6mph!

I was quite grateful for the added bonus of the bar top brake levers as it gave me a greater degree of confidence whilst I got used to the bike. I did go on the drops briefly on one downhill bit, but it did scare the bejesus out of me so was back on the hoods fairly quickly. I'll keep trying on that score!

The bike basically made my hybrid seem like a carthorse, and it is a fairly decent hybrid (Specialized Vita Elite), so now I have 3 bikes - a mountain bike for bombing around locally between fields and tracks, a hybrid which I was planning on using for commuting and my bestest bike, the Giant. Now I'm wondering if I'll want to go back on the hybrid again!! I may use it for when the weather is bad and in the winter...I'll have to see how it goes, and if I'm not using it I can always sell it.

So that's my brief ride report and it's all good :-) Thanks for all the advice on here!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new bike! I wanted the same thing out of a bike and ended up with the men's Jamis Quest. I've also got a Jamis mountain bike and an Electra hybrid.