New to group, pregnant, PCOS, low milk supply question

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
Hello,
I'm new to the group. This is my second pregnancy, but the first ended in miscarriage. I'm about 15 weeks now, and I have PCOS. I was recently reading that women with insulin resistance can have a low milk supply. This concerns me. Has anyone experienced a low milk supply? What worked to increase your supply?

Replies

• Sewpunk
    Sewpunk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

I read the book, More Milk, or maybe it was Making More Milk b/c I thought I had a low supply issue as well. The book has lots of great information on boosting supply and the reasons behind low supply. PCOS and insulin resistance being two reasons for low supply.

To be honest, I am not sure if I even have a low supply issue. My baby is almost 15 weeks pp.

My LO is string bean, super long and lean, I spent his 1st two months fretting over his little weight gains. Apparently my baby spends all his calories in growing longer and very little on putting on weight. Our Dr. isn't worried, but the Lactation Clinic in my area had me stressed to the max thinking I have low supply and something was wrong. (all the while my baby is growing almost 2 inches longer every month, which they completly ignored) He was born 9 lbs 2 oz, 22" long, is now 12 lbs and 26" at just over 14 weeks old. (99th for length, 5 % for weight)

This is what I have been doingto help my supply:

I eat steel cut oats, lactation cookies, and have been trying to eat super healthy in general. (I think that one helps the most!) I drink: Mega Green Juice (it has spirulina and chorella), lots of water & Mother's Milk tea (4 tea bags a day).

I have also been taking MotherLove brand "More Milk Special Blend" herbal tincture. I just stopped that and started taking fenugreek pills instead to save some cash. The tincture had a blend of lactogenic herbs to boost supply. I really liked it, but it was 25 bucks a bottle, the pills are much cheaper.

In addition to diet stuff, I do breast compressions when I pump at work (I use a hands free pumping bra), and make sure I offer the breast as much as possible when we are together.

ps - this is my 1st post to the group, I plan on introducing myself shortly!
  • edisonswifey
    edisonswifey Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I too have PCOS, I too had a miscarriage, got pregnant again and shes 7 months now. In the beginning I had lots and lots of milk supply. I notice when I don't drink enough water my milk supply lowers. When I was pregnant I was so worried I wouldn't be able to nurse or wouldn't produce enough or any at all. But I did and I am still nursing. =) Feel free to add me.