SL Inner Circle membership is open...

Options
pintobean
pintobean Posts: 40 Member
Just in case anyone is interested in joining...I think it closes July 12.

http://strongliftsinnercircle.com/jointoday/

Don't see any women in there on the ad page.

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    hm. maybe because it smells like a scam? :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Yup
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    When he's using "+1 girlfriend" after the programme as an advertising hook, my sexism tolerance drops through the floor...Dude, I get that it's advertising to your chosen niche of the market. But dafuq?!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    When he's using "+1 girlfriend" after the programme as an advertising hook, my sexism tolerance drops through the floor...Dude, I get that it's advertising to your chosen niche of the market. But dafuq?!

I know this is going to be difficult to understand, but try to contain your tears of agony at the revelation I'm about to shower upon your head:

You and I are not Mehdi's chosen.

Sorry. I know that's hard to accept, but accept it we must.

There, there. No need for tears. Here's a tissue. *pats Xidia comfortingly*

:laugh:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    His macho crap is keeping him from a huge, mostly ignored demographic. His loss.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    His macho crap is keeping him from a huge, mostly ignored demographic. His loss.

I didn't spend that much time on his page--it kind of annoyed me. I read Starting Strength instead. Mark Rippetoe occasionally says stupid macho things, as well (like that line about making sure your lifting gloves match your purse, if you are going to use gloves instead of chalk), but he adjusts his advice for women where relevant, and he uses at least one female lifter as a model for his pictures. When I saw those pics in the book, I took a sigh of relief.
  • lilawolf
    Options

I didn't spend that much time on his page--it kind of annoyed me. I read Starting Strength instead. Mark Rippetoe occasionally says stupid macho things, as well (like that line about making sure your lifting gloves match your purse, if you are going to use gloves instead of chalk), but he adjusts his advice for women where relevant, and he uses at least one female lifter as a model for his pictures. When I saw those pics in the book, I took a sigh of relief.

That's nice. I guess we aren't as ignored as I thought. I didn't look into SS since I was told that it was the same as SL except it has a slightly modified row. Is that true? I've watched some of Mark's form videos on youtube though. That was helpful.
  • bumblebums
    Options

That's nice. I guess we aren't as ignored as I thought. I didn't look into SS since I was told that it was the same as SL except it has a slightly modified row. Is that true? I've watched some of Mark's form videos on youtube though. That was helpful.

Not at all. I mean, in terms of the basic lifts being used (squat, deadlift, bench press, and press), they are similar. Rippetoe considers rows to be an assistance exercise, though, and recommends chin-ups/pull-ups more strongly. There is an entire long chapter on other exercises such as RDL, good mornings, and variations on squats and so on. He also teaches power cleans and power snatches (similar to what you see in Olympic weightlifting, though not exactly the same). But you read Starting Strength for the form advice, not for the program. He has relatively little to say about the programming in this book, since he has another one that's all about programming.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Not at all. I mean, in terms of the basic lifts being used (squat, deadlift, bench press, and press), they are similar. Rippetoe considers rows to be an assistance exercise, though, and recommends chin-ups/pull-ups more strongly. There is an entire long chapter on other exercises such as RDL, good mornings, and variations on squats and so on. He also teaches power cleans and power snatches (similar to what you see in Olympic weightlifting, though not exactly the same). But you read Starting Strength for the form advice, not for the program. He has relatively little to say about the programming in this book, since he has another one that's all about programming.

Oh! I didn't know that at all. Wow, I will put that on my reading list then. I definitely think that chin ups/pull ups should be part of the routine. I can do one chin up :tongue: Just put up my bar at home 2 days ago, so I am working up now. I power clean the weight I am going to OHP, does that count? :laugh:
  • bumblebums
    Options

Oh! I didn't know that at all. Wow, I will put that on my reading list then. I definitely think that chin ups/pull ups should be part of the routine. I can do one chin up :tongue: Just put up my bar at home 2 days ago, so I am working up now. I power clean the weight I am going to OHP, does that count? :laugh:

:) He does talk about what your relative weights for the respective lifts ought to be if you train all of them with the same intensity. I believe the clean weight is somewhere between the bench and the press, thought closer to your bench weight. The main issue with the clean is that it's technically demanding. I can sort of row/curl my press weight to my delts, but that don't make it a clean...

Back to the Strong Lifts site, I suspect a lot of its success lies in the one-program-fits-all approach. It's simple and easy to remember. Rippetoe does not do this--he suggests an alternating full body routine, too, but it has more wiggle room in it based on your weaknesses and interests. He also does not suggest a fixed rep/set range, which again is not right for everyone in the real world. From what I have seen of Mehdi's form advice (I confess I did not study it closely), it seems to be a Cliff's notes to Rippetoe's {Don Quixote/War and Peace/your favorite oversized novel}.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yeah lol

mehdi is a prat

join his "inner circle" LOL errrr..... how about no. I think I'll buy rippetoe's books instead. ...and post in the starting strength forum which is free.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    yeah lol

mehdi is a prat

join his "inner circle" LOL errrr..... how about no.
    I think I'll buy rippetoe's books instead. ...and post in the starting strength forum which is free.

Agreed. Dude is sleazy like a bad stereotype of a used car salesman. I do like the Stronglifts program though.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just do the free programs and ignore the rest.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I know this is going to be difficult to understand, but try to contain your tears of agony at the revelation I'm about to shower upon your head:

You and I are not Mehdi's chosen.

Sorry. I know that's hard to accept, but accept it we must.

There, there. No need for tears. Here's a tissue. *pats Xidia comfortingly*

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

I know - we're not his niche. I've had a really bad week for casual, every day sexism appearing and this appears to have been the straw that broke the camel's back. </rant before it starts> :grumble:
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So sick of his emails. I keep meaning to unsubscribe to him but forget and then get another annoying email from him! Grrr :grumble: