Doulas

Options
RisOnTheRun
RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
Hi all! I'm curious to know how many of you are considering using a doula and/or have used one in the past if this isn't your first pregnancy. This is my first pregnancy so I don't really know what to expect during labor, but I'm a little concerned because my husband is pretty squeemish and has very little interest in learning about what happens during childbirth, so I'm not sure that he'll be the best coach. I don't really have any friends or family that I can ask to accompany me during labor (my parents live about 8 hours away, so they'll probably come to town as soon as I go into labor but they'll miss a lot of it).

For those of you that are using/have used doulas, what are your thoughts? And how far in advance should you pick one?

Replies

• ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am using a doula this time around- I didn't for my first 2 but decided to go for it this time- my husband (who is not at all squeamish and generally very supportive) was not able to adequately handle my stress over the dr not showing up last time (she finally did, 2 min before he was born!) so we agreed that it would be best to have someone there who's job is to help me keep it together! :) Also, I would really like to try natural childbirth this time, and my husband will be traveling close to my due date (we also don't have family around) .. so it was really a no brainer!

I would find one sooner than later! I booked mine right after my first trimester- she doesn't like to take more than one client with similar due dates but others may be different. Try to get recommendations from people you know and schedule a meeting to see if she's compatible with what you need.

Good luck!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I did not use one the first time and regret it, because we could afford it then. My husband was ... he tried hard. But I needed someone to prompt him to support me, almost!

This time we can't afford it, but I would in a heartbeat if I could.
  • RisOnTheRun
    Options
    Thanks ladies! This is helpful. I'm going to start looking into doulas in the area.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have a doula and she has already proven to be amazing in support and knowledge alone. Sometimes you can find a doula in training for a reduced rate or even free. I found mine on a local Facebook mommy group and was lucky to be her third, and last free, birth.

I am planning a drug free, hypno-VBAC in a hospital and refusing many standard hospital newborn procedures. In my opinion a doula will likely be one of the most important keys to my success because she will run a lot of that interference for me and has a wealth of knowledge in natural childbirth and pain management techniques.

I would just be sure you do an in person interview if possible. You really want to be sure you "click" with this person because she will be there for a very intimate life experience. It is impertive you feel comfortable with her. Good luck!
  • RisOnTheRun
    Options
    Thanks rubyann! That is very helpful information. We a meeting with a potential doula on Sunday, and her price is on the lower end, so I'm hoping we click!