Further Discussion on Metformin, Extracted from Other Thread

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
@aSearch4Me -- Re: Metformin. I feel like a cheerleader in the Metformin Fan Club. I personally love the stuff. I noticed a big difference in my cycles AND my mood issue tendencies with Metformin (lifelong anxiety/depression cycle). My final dosage is 1000mg ER twice-a-day (2000mg ER total)....which might be the max dosage of the ER formula. If you are noticing chronic stomach issues with the Metformin, you might want to ask your doctor about taking the Extended Release formula (ER)...but make sure your insurance covers it first, even the generic is pricey (like $600-700/month). Like @KnitorMiss mentioned, you might want to be careful with dairy before/after your dosage. I didn't find a reaction with cheeses...but traditional milk or something like ice cream...It's unpleasant. I never could break my "milk addiction", but I have found that the reaction is less with lactose-free milk (lower sugar/carb). And nearly a year after starting to take it, my GI symptoms in general are basically gone with the Met. (unless I take it on an empty stomach in the morning & then space eating breakfast...then my stomach still complains a bit...understandably so). I personally give Met the credit in my ability to conceive after nearly 6 years of trying...I can't imagine a life without Met at this point.

@Knit_Or_Miss -- For me, it was likely the cream I used in my eggs, because it was that, butter, and cheese, most of the time.

I don't miss milk anymore, but I enjoy heavy cream from time to time as an indulgence, or a substitute for a meal if I'm on the run...

That being said, @aSearch4Me, I have a question about Met. My doc talked to me on Tuesday about possibly getting back on Metformin, but since I had such horrible issues last time, she suggested trying the 250 mg instead of 500 mg xr. She said it might help. But, I got my insulin back down from a 15 (perfect crap-storm of bad events, and bad choices the week before my test upped the levels badly). This was 6 months after a test of 5.1. Well, after about 6 weeks, I got it down from a 15 to a 9.1 again I think. If I stick with my plan and add my exercise back in after I finish healing my rash, I think I'd do well managing it with diet. I can't categorically remember what all it's supposed to help with (most things don't work on me since I do continuous birth control pills)...so I'm really really hesitant to get back on it. Thoughts??

@aSearch4Me -- @KnitorMiss I think Metformin has a lot of benefits besides just the lowering of the A1C/glucose/insulin level labs. I know it lowers free floating estrogen & androgens, which are one of the things that mess up cycles with women with PCOS (& probably what doesn't jive with your continuous BC). I think there is some sort of affect on progesterone as a result, because I know my progesterone lab levels were horrible pre-Met (probably triggering the irregular/long cycles), & those improved drastically after a few months on Metformin with no more Provera supplementation minus a "kick-start" a month into Metformin. I know there have been several studies over the past decade that have shown benefits of Metformin in relation to cancer (both in helping to prevent, & in prolonging life or aiding in cure for those with specific types of cancers...but I'm not in a place where I have my usual access to study resources right now :smile: ). I think there are also a few studies showing Metformin's ability to improve heart function in women & provide protection against heart disease (but if I remember correctly, it had an opposite affect for men...I wonder if part of that is decreasing estrogen? I don't know...I'm so far out from my physio classes to remember all of the micro/hormonal pathways...lol).

Regarding the dosage, I'm not an expert in that area...because my OBGYN (who treats A LOT of PCOS patients & has PCOS herself) was pretty adamant that I needed to be on max dosage to conceive due to my long history of irregular cycles, my mom's difficulty conceiving (probably PCOS, but never diagnosed), & my strong family history on both sides of T2 Diabetes....so I never had a "middle step" on my Met, I just ladder-stepped week by week up to max dosage...lol. I started with the normal Met & then was transitioned to the XR about halfway through. I don't even remember what my insulin lab values were (the practice has switched e-medical record programs since then, & the old labs aren't listed), but I know I've never had a high A1C or fasting glucose level...but I was destined to eventually with how IR works.

I know my dad is on half of the dosage of the Met XR that I am (500 b.i.d XR)...as he so lovingly pointed out when he was at my house the other week & saw my pill bottle...lol. I can't convince my parents why I'm on Metformin when I don't have "diabetes." And it's a whole other fight to convince them it's not bad for the baby for me to still be on it (since PCOS women are more prone to Gestational Diabetes & pre-eclampsia, & there are zero studies showing harmful effects on baby as long as they are growing...which she is). I know my dad is within the "normal weight range" now, and I think his Metformin dose was dropped once his A1C regulated & he reached "normal weight" (he was diagnosed with T2D after he had an issue with peripheral vascular disease pop up suddenly). But he's still on it despite normal weight & labs, & will be for life.

Personally, I would do whatever you are most comfortable with. If you *really* don't want to restart the Met...don't. Just follow the plan that has dropped your levels before & be sure to get your follow-up labs to make sure it's working. Everyone's different. I fully realize that because Met's a miracle worker for me, it won't be for everyone. That being said, if you're willing to give it another go...it might be worth trying the 250 to see how your body responds this round? If anything, it could offer a bit of protection with plans go awry because of life events?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Well, in doing some research right now for my flare up of my hidradenitis suppurativa, it seems that Metformin, and even with Spironolactone, can help treat it somewhat... Zinc was also indicated. The Met and Spiro caused me MASSIVELY SCARY dehydration. I wonder if using the spiro (I still have two Rx bottles, I think) for now might help that?

I'll be 40 in July, and I'm not looking to protect fertility or anything, as I'm done in that department, but I do have pelvic organ prolapse, and I've been working hard to avoid surgery. The BCP are listed as a treatment for the HS, too, but I think I would be able to stop those if I went head and had the hysterectomy and bladder suspension surgery, though it's so risky...

Most of my metformin discussions have been surrounding treating my insulin resistance and symptoms, so I don't know. I'm not worried about the social stigma of this - I'm just really really tired of popping pills, and since I just got my severe perpetually diarrhea mostly managed, I'm SO not looking forward to getting back to that arena.

This is just too much too overwhelming...

Met can offer protection?? I'm confused???