Fitbit charge HR reliable?

Options
izbugz
izbugz Posts: 35 Member
hey i was looking into buying a fitbit charge HR but i read an article that they are being sued over the HR monitor being inacurate http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/02/fitbit-incs-class-action-headaches-just-got-worse.aspx?source=iedfolrf0000001
obviously you cant beleive everything you read on the internet so i was wandering whats your experiences with them?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen, some people were expecting medical device level accuracy from their Fitbit heart rate monitor. You're not going to get that and I never expected that. And, from what I've seen, some people just can't get good readings from theirs, even when using it as intended.

My experience is that mine is pretty accurate for me. When I use it and a chest strap HRM at the same time during exercise, the average heart rate is usually within 1 or 2 BPM of the chest strap and the graphs, while not identical, show the same basic shape. When I do a spot check comparing my current heart rate to what it says at any particular moment, it's generally pretty close. It seems to have my resting heart rate about right now (it used to be 5-10 BPM high). It will occasionally drop out during exercise (but then, so does my chest strap HRM) but that doesn't bug me that much since having an absolutely accurate heart rate reading at every moment is not what I expected when I bought it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is hardly alone - some of the others made more grandiose claims even.

The method just has a decent potential of not being accurate for many.

I've not used one, but from all the available veins I can see - it would like have no problem reading decently.
    But I'll bet it would also fall out at higher HR's I commonly sustain.

Depends on what you need it for.
    It's not like the system has any good features for doing like HR-based training - so the fact it may not be accurate really shouldn't matter.
    If HR is really that important for exercise - you need something better.
  • izbugz
    izbugz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I figured i wont need a HR monitor and it seems a bit pointless for me, so i invested in fitbit alter, im still getting used to it tbh