Oblivious to flirting?

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
So, I think I have posted something like this before, but there are several new peeps........

I have been told twice in the last 2 days that I was being flirted with and was totaly oblivious both times. I work in construction company and we sell materials to contractors so there are guys in and out all day.

yesterday a guy came on and we were talking about nothing really, as I wrote up his ticket, and then when he left coworker said "he was totally fliring with you!!'

Then, today a guy came in and he has been customer for a long time--I always thought he was married (none of these guys wear rings due to the machinery many of them have to use). So, my coworker was making comments like......"She (meaning me) looked at and said "oh, who is that tall drink of water?" trying to encourage me to flirt..........didn't work-just made my face turn beet red...........and she said he had started the flirting, trying to draw me in and I missed the cue. NOw, this guy is adorable, but I am just clueless I guess.

Maybe it is because my interest is currently elsewhere?

Any others miss all the clues?

Replies

• Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I too am completely oblivious to flirting too.....
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I'm a very competent flirt...with people I know but have no interest in on that level. Someone I don't know well/a stranger, or am interested in - absolutely oblivious. Can't help, I'm afraid!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am obliviuos to it as well until there is casual touching. That is always my cue to flirting.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I can't recall ever really being flirted with where I knew the person was interested in me except for one time and that is because he really laid on the touching and started to make sly sexual comments.

I just always assume people are being friendly with me and until someone is blatantly obvious they are flirting such as aforementioned guy I don't think anything of them except for being friendly. I would hate to think a guy is flirting with me and I flirt back and it turns out he was just being friendly - that happened one time and it was massively embarrassing when his girlfriend walked up...
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

I think everyone is oblivious to sh!tty flirting.

Frankly, I don't care because I don't think I need not to be oblivious to it.
    If I flirt and you don't stop me I will be jumping on you pretty quickly, so you shouldn't miss it, and if I'm oblivious (or pretending I am) then I'm probably not interested in you anyway.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I think I would pick up on it. I honestly can't remember the last time someone flirted with me outside of actually being on a date already.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

I think everyone is oblivious to sh!tty flirting.

Frankly, I don't care because I don't think I need not to be oblivious to it.
    If I flirt and you don't stop me I will be jumping on you pretty quickly, so you shouldn't miss it, and if I'm oblivious (or pretending I am) then I'm probably not interested in you anyway.

yeah, I tend to agree with this.

With reference to the other flirt thread we had recently, where people in relationships think its fun to flirt harmlessly, I'm of the opinion that if it's flirting with iNTENT then you would know about it. Any other kind of flirting is not even noteworthy.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I think I would pick up on it. I honestly can't remember the last time someone flirted with me outside of actually being on a date already.

I flirt with you all the time don't even.

I think different styles of flirting go missed by different people. It also depends on what you consider flirting if you're going to recognize it or not. It doesn't make you oblivious, it just means you have different modes of communication.

Let's not forget that friends are also likely to see something that isn't there. I have one girl friend that is 100% certain my BFF and I are secretly in love and we'll realize it one day and be meant for each other and blah blah blah and that when we interact we flirt.
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Ha, I'm opposite as of lately. I think everyone's flirting with me. Not really but obviously I'm as confused as the ones that are oblivious to it. I do "test" to see if they're flirting.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Not single here but I think I'm 50% regarding catching if someone is flirting or not. I know there are a few women in my gym that are comfortable enough to chit chat in a friendly flirt. Especially when they KNOW I've talked to their husbands. One older lady that wears a sports bra and spandex shorts was kidding around about our ages. I told her I'm probably older than her. she said she was 53. I was amazed. She comments on my workouts here and there. It's all good and fun because everyone know exactly what it is. Harmless
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mo6y16jDYq1qz4rgp.gif

I am told I do. I haven't had much experience flirting or learning to pick up the signs that I am being flirted to.
    I think different styles of flirting go missed by different people. It also depends on what you consider flirting if you're going to recognize it or not. It doesn't make you oblivious, it just means you have different modes of communication.

I agree with this. I remember one time long ago in my early 20's before I got, well, really big, I was visiting one of my friends neighbors. I started talking to the neighbor's wife. I found out she was from Mexico and she was happy to find out I was bilingual in Spanish. We spoke for a bit and I cracked a few corny jokes in Spanish. She laughed a lot, sat real close and would touch my arm frequently. My friends did not know Spanish, so had no clue about the context of our conversation but told me that just by reading her body language she was most definitely flirting with me. I was young, clueless and she was married so it never even once crossed my mind that she was flirting with me. Now that I'm older, I know better than to assume because someone is married that they won't flirt however, I'm still mostly clueless.
    I do "test" to see if they're flirting.
    What? How? Maybe I am being "tested" all the time and due to my thick headedness I fail it all the time.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm oblivious, too. I've had friends say, "he was totally into you!" or "he was flirting with you!" I just say, "oh... huh..."

Yeah, I'm just not used to anyone flirting with me.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I too am no help with pointing out the signs of flirting. I dated someone a while back who had been apparently flirting with me for a while and I wasn't catching on... she eventually came out and told me she was doing it...I guess I need a tongue in my ear and a thumb in my....never mind...I'm oblivious, all I was getting at :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I flirt with you all the time... and you don't even remember! :sad: :wink:
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I will shamelessly flirt with everyone all the time, unless I'm really interested or if there is a small group of unknown people. I'm working on it, but seriously most of the time my flirting is just me being friendly and nothing more.

When a man flirts with me, I assume the same thing. I am a little more chatty lately and have met some guys in real life (which you all know is unheard of for me). So, I guess I'm starting to pick up the signs a little better. :) I guess, if you are interested, put yourself out there, give obvious indications that you're interested and just go with the flow (as Anna would say). :)
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I meant face to face in a normal daily activity.

I'm not THAT oblivious. ;)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I meant face to face in a normal daily activity.

I'm not THAT oblivious. ;)

come down to san Diego, I'll show you how not subtle I can be ;}
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm oblivious or not. . Everyone flirt with me and I'll see if I catch on. .