Constipation. Yes, I said it.

Options
Boise_Mom
Boise_Mom Posts: 26 Member
Please forgive me if this is too graphic. Phen leaves me a bit constipated. I am able to go (a little) only every 3/4 days or so. I know I am eating less, but I used to go everyday on the same type of eating plan, so it has to be the Phen. I eat lots of fiber, and even tried a laxative (never again). What works for you all?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Don't worry @Boise_Mom that's a normal side effect.

At my doctor's recommendation I bought the giant container of Miralax. (I use the Walgreen's brand though because it's a lot cheaper). My routine is to take it every morning. Works like a charm.

I went on it after my surgery because (since we're being graphic) that area was worked on. Prior to that I'd tried a few different products and they were touch and go. The Miralax really does the trick. If you want specifics or to ask any more detailed questions (because let's face it, there are concerns with products like this) feel free to message me.
  • angie55575
    angie55575 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issues @Boise_Mom :(
  • MissusMoon
    Options
    I'll add that the copious amounts of fiber I was consuming didn't help. With no gall bladder eating salads would typically solve this problem, but not on Phen. Hence my recommendation above.
  • traceyinMI
    traceyinMI Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too. I know I'm not getting enough fiber-- I just started taking Viva Labs Organic Psyllium Husk, 500mg, (3) capsules 2x/day. I haven't been taking them long enough to tell you if they are working, but it seems like they are.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Fiber can actually be very binding when you're backed up. And miralax is dangerous - it's plastic (look up the ingredients). I highly recommend using magnesium oxide as you can control how many mgs you take and it works great! And mag is something most people are sorely low in.
  • Boise_Mom
    Options
    How often do you take it? Over the past couple of weeks, I only average going every 4 to 5 days with some type of help. It's normally been milk of magnesia.

I also and thinking about trying the psyllium capsules.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    Psyllium will likely bind you more. Milk of mag is still magnesium but I'm not familiar with how many mgs of mag are actually in it. If you're still only going that infrequently I would look at adding at least 500mg of mag oxide twice a day. AM/PM. From there you can adjust up or done until you're going at least once a daily. If you hit bowel tolerance (the runs) then you back off to a dose where that doesn't happen. Magnesium is an essential mineral and it'd be tough to get too much of it so I wouldn't worry that way.
  • MissusMoon
    Options
    Fiber can actually be very binding when you're backed up. And miralax is dangerous - it's plastic (look up the ingredients). I highly recommend using magnesium oxide as you can control how many mgs you take and it works great! And mag is something most people are sorely low in.

My doctors are the ones that recommended Miralax. The only sites saying what you have said are naturpaths and holistic doctors.
  • ronjsteele1
    edited June 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

My doctors are the ones that recommended Miralax. The only sites saying what you have said are naturpaths and holistic doctors.

Yes, most doctors do recommend Miralax. I would recommend looking up the ingredients for yourself and reading them. The actual ingredients. I don't do doctors - ever - unless I have a broken bone. As a holistic practitioner in training, I prefer not to recommend crap to people. You and I will never agree so we should just leave it at that. However, I do encourage others to look things up for themselves and make their own choices. Options (whether we take them or not) are always a good thing. It's part of making informed healthcare decisions.

• Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Yes, most doctors do recommend Miralax. I would recommend looking up the ingredients for yourself and reading them. The actual ingredients. I don't do doctors - ever - unless I have a broken bone. As a holistic practitioner in training, I prefer not to recommend crap to people. You and I will never agree so we should just leave it at that. However, I do encourage others to look things up for themselves and make their own choices. Options (whether we take them or not) are always a good thing. It's part of making informed healthcare decisions.

Just curious if you don't believe in doctors or medication why are you in a private forum for people who take drugs to assist weight loss ??
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    It's a fair question to ask given my general stand on medicine and doctors. We attempt to be balanced, which means looking at all sides (and all options - even those that might not be as palatable) and making decisions from there.

1) I do tremendous research when I make a decision to use something medical and I came to this group looking for info and opinions by other users of phentermine. 2) I'm not being prescribed phentermine by a physician. I got it from another source. I tend to oversee personally anything medication wise that I deem worthy of taking. Although, I may consider a physician on this one as I continue researching. 3) Medication in all realms is a last resort for me and that's where I'm at with weight loss. It's taken me 4 months to lose 10#'s with logging, weighing, walking 15 miles a week (and doing other stuff in addition). I do have PCOS and am going through menopause and have subclinical hypothyroid (use to be hashis). As well as struggling with appetite control and feeling like I'm starving off and on. All of those factors seem to be making weight loss very slow which is frustrating me. I see phentermine as a possible short term bump while I'm doing all of those others things to see if I can get things moving a bit faster. After talking with family (a nurse and a doctor) and doing my own research, I feel like phentermine is one of the least "damaging" things I could try. If I have horrible side effects, I can stop, because I'm not so hell bent on it that I'm willing to risk damaging my body. If it jump starts things again then I'll be happy and use it short term. My goal is overall health so I keep my sight on what is the best way to get there. I do have the nice benefit of having medical personnel in my family who willingly answer my questions as needed. It's a perk. ;-)

There are not a lot of options to help with weight loss that I would deem worthwhile (ie. green teas, garcinia, surgery, etc). With something like constipation, there are tons of options. So it's easy for me to say I would never use miralax. It took only having our family doctor prescribe it for one of my children one time to have me say "no." The main ingredient is plastic. It's not digestible, that's why it works. It runs through undigested (but having exposed the body to the chemicals). It also has a horrible tendency to cause tics. So deciding to use medicine or not is always based on the situation at hand. My son almost bled to death 6yrs ago. I used medicine to save him. When he was stable, we laid our options on the table and made decisions (and we walked away from the doctors because of the things they said and did and tried to do against our wishes). The key to making decisions is to be balanced. While I despise the medical world and doctors, I am thankful they put my leg and ankle back together so I could at least walk again. It's a balance. We're not always perfect at it, but we try to stay balanced.

Most people think that people who prefer natural medicine are stupid. In reality, we are way more research based then others who run to the doctor first. By the time I hit a doctor's office (when in need), I know way more then they'd prefer me to but I feel confident in having conversations with them about what's best for me and my family.

A fair question you have asked. :-)
  • traceyinMI
    Options
    Just wanted to comment that I have found from experience that a cup of magic bullet coffee does the trick within 60 minutes. 8 oz hot coffee, 1 T kerrygold butter, 1T coconut oil, blend with an immersion blender until frothy, enjoy.
  • Boise_Mom
    Options
    Thank you! Sounds good!
  • ronjsteele1
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Oh! The coconut oil coffee! I have sooooo many friends that swear by that stuff. :-) I can't do it, but others say it tastes fabulous!
  • traceyinMI
    Options
    I don't love the taste but I can tolerate it and I do really well with weight loss when I do low carb/high fat.