Just began journey

heathercivic
heathercivic Posts: 2 Member
Hi all! Just began my journey! Will have surgery in November, just curious how everyone prepared for surgery! Looking forward to the support!

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Hi..and welcome to the group! Inhad gastric bypass on 4/18/16 and started the process in November. I went on a medically supervised diet and cut out a lot of carbs (oatmeal, lentils, beans etc) and limited myself to 1 maybe 2 fruits a day. If I had a carb it was outed with protein - and I kept working out like crazy. Down 51 lbs now..and feeling great! When are you aiming for surgery?
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Hi! I had VSG on 10/15/15. On 8/23/15 I joined Costco, bought a bunch of healthy foods, and started cutting back on the crap. Between 8/24 and 10/15 I logged my foods on MFP and followed their calorie guidelines. I paid no attention to my macros, and didn't add in any exercise. I lost 24lbs. During that time I researched the hell out of VSG, RNY, DS and their post-op diets. As it got closer, I started shopping and prepping my pantry, fridge and freezer. By September 15 I had completely stopped fried foods.

Good luck with your journey! We're here when you need!
  • char_barr
    char_barr Posts: 125 Member
    My process was really fast! I consulted in January and surgery was April 18th. I had to attend 3 nutritionist appointments. I tried to cut back on crap, but honestly didn't do a great job- I didn't gain or lose. I stopped drinking maybe 3 weeks before surgery and I had a 2 week restricted diet from the surgeon before surgery - I stuck to that and lost 15 lbs in those 2 weeks and have lost 31lbs additionally since surgery.
  • heathercivic
    heathercivic Posts: 2 Member
    My surgery will be in January, doc wanted November but I have a 2 year old and I want to make it through the holidays. My nutritionist is recommending I stay on a 1200 calorie diet for the next 6 months...crossing fingers I'll lose all the extra during this journey and find myself!!'