Does anyone use a weight belt

Options
lwhayes820
lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
I'm about 8 weeks in SL 5x5 and I've been progressing pretty steadily. Curious about the pros / cons of using a weight belt. Thanks for your input.

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i can't speak to the pro's since i only tried using one once, and decided it wasn't for me. i don't seem to have enough space between pelvis and ribs ;) verrrrrry uncomfortable.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I have one now. Though the 4inch is a little big for my 4'11.5" height and would probably get 3inch next time. I didn't use it during stronglifts or NROLFW. I got my belt when I started prepping for a powerlifting meet as most tend to squat and deadlift with one and a rare couple who do high back arch use them on bench as well. Takes a little time to get used to it for sure and it's not a fix all type device. It can help for bracing and some find they lift a little more with it compared to without. I don't use it for warm ups or even every session. Last few gym sessions I've not brought it to the gym with me at all.

But I do like it when I go close to my 1 rep max. I have straps too but I rarely ever use them, more so for pendlay rows as it gives my hands a little break so the calluses don't hurt all the time. I might get wrist wraps or knee sleeves in the future but not decided yet. I hope to compete in another powerlifting meet in the fall, so we'll see.