FitBit One starting out in the morning with approx 50,000 steps :(

Options
cathyd1000
cathyd1000 Posts: 60 Member
Last weekend I woke up one morning with over 50,000 steps, the next day about 45,000. I keep my fitbit One on my nightstand at night and clip it on when I get dressed. I contacted customer support but I didn't hear back so I googled the issue and couldnb't find anyone with a similar problem, I did find out about powering it down, while connected to a computer and did that several times, but when it came back on it still had the steps. My husband suggested leaving it off longer, so i left it off overnight and it was fine the next day.

When I did hear back from customer support, I was very disappointed with their response. Even after fully explaining the issue, they sent me a link about how to get better accuracy, and stride length... which had nothing to do with this issue. I let it go since it was working normally Monday and Tuesday, and then Wednesday I woke up 45,700 steps. I contacted them again and they basically said sorry about that, we let our engineers know, but don't have an answer for you. This morning I woke up to 54,100 steps.

I sent them photos of yesterdays and today's readings, and let them know that I was not happy. Right now my Fitbit is basically useless. I am going to have to disconnect it from My Fitness Pal, so that I don't have to keep using a calculators to figure out my real daily calories.

I am hoping someone may have had this problem and knows a solution.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So the Fitbit shows those steps, and it sounds like it syncs to Fitbit account (eventually over to MFP too then).

Have you looked in your daily 5 min graph online to see when the steps are occurring?

That's the picture they need, not of the device. For all you know that doggy grabbed your Fitbit and ran around all night long. Or you had some awesome sleep walking after grabbing it yourself. And you should be tired too!

But that 5 min daily step graph (and calories to see how much it adds on) will show if it's all at once, or all night long. And will help them.

If it happens in space of time or all night - you can log I believe Driving which will remove the steps, and use a calorie burn for that chunk of time equal to your 5 min non-moving calorie burn.

Find a 5 min chunk with no steps, look at the calorie burn rate for that time.
    Now do the math for the chunk of time you need to replace with Driving, use that calorie burn rate, and you'll have the night put back right where it would have been.

If you still want to use it while you wait for progress on fix.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @heybales How do you find the 5 minute graph? And is it only online not in the app? Thanks
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Online your account - Log - Activity.
    Buttons for Steps and Calories is what matters here.

Never heard of it being in the app as it takes a bit of space to display.
    But it could be buried in there somewhere, and float between chunks of displayed time.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Found it, Thanks!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    In the (Android) app, there's a 15 minute graph - obviously not quite as detailed as the 5 minute one, but still potentially useful if you can't get to a desktop.

Open the app to the Dashboard screen, tap your daily steps line to see a graph of your daily steps for the past week. On the bottom portion is a listing of days with the corresponding number of steps, tap the day you want to see in more detail. Turn your phone to a horizontal orientation and tap on any of the bars on the graph to get a pop up of the number of steps in that 15 minute period.

Also, OP, if you do manage to get a picture of a graph where it shows when those steps occurred overnight, please post it here! I really feel badly for you that you're having issues, but I'm also super curious about what happened :smile:.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    what was wrong? did they replace it?