In the 'zones'

Options
debrag12
debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Can anyone explain the 'zones' to me in respect to the food plan (I think it is). I don't really take much notice of it but its just bugging me lol

j7nuwksizyk3.png

This one I'm in the zone, have 471 difference in cico but 29 calories over budget.

o44tqtm2b9ic.png

This one I'm over budget, have 344 difference in cico but 75 calories left in budget.

So one I'm in the zone but over budget and the other I'm over budget but have calories left?!

I have a 500 calorie deficit so for the first image I am into that deficit by 29 calories, that's fine but how have I got calories left if I've already over budget? Is it due to the day not being over yet and my co increasing still? So I need to burn 2743 today as I have eaten 2243?

What are the 'zone' figures if I can be 'in the zone' but with calories over, can I have calories under and still be 'in the zone'?

EDIT: The zone for me is 500 +/- 50
EDIT: realised that 2 tiles have been added together on the windows 10 app so now I get it : :)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That gauge is for that exact moment in time - comparing eating level, to burn level minus deficit % for amount of day gone.

So say you looked at noon after eating lunch but before logging it. And you have 500 cal deficit. And 2000 cal expected burn, and only ate/logged breakfast of 500 cal.

Burned 1000 cal (noon).
    Deficit 500 @ 50% (noon) = 250.

1000 - 250 = 750 cal goal.

Ate 500 cal. - Under budget - you'd have 250 left in budget on gauge.

Now log lunch of 500 cal.
    Ate 1000 cal - Over budget - you'd have 250 over in gauge.

Of course how much time you got left before next meal now? Another 6-7 hrs of daily burn to log but no food eaten? Perhaps an after work workout too?

This is why so many find that gauge worthless and disable it - even on the Fitbit forums. Very rarely do people's eating level match up to their burn level as the day progresses, and only thinking of your daily burn up to that point in time is almost as bad as thinking of a workout and it's calorie burn for that 30-45 min chunk of time, rather than the day and effect on the body as a whole.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS in the yellow according to my Fit Bit when I go to bed. I use Fitbit for exercise and MFP for food. I don't even really pay any attention to that gauge.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm always under by the time I go to bed, but I'm only at a -250 deficit, so it's pretty easy to achieve the under status.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I don't take notice of it really, I just don't like seeing red lol