Low Impact body weight exercise suggestions?

Options
Smurfe04
Smurfe04 Posts: 54 Member
As said, need some suggestions for low impact exercise until my way out of shape body can start to adjust. I have been doing a lot of walking and surprisingly have seen a lot of my knee pain reduce. I really need to start some other training as well through body weight training until I can swing a gym membership. That really isn't in the budget right now.

Replies

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender you can put in the intensity and level you want to work out at and what area you want to work on. I do all my workouts at home just using resistance exercises may help too.
  • Smurfe04
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check that out.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    If you want to get some weights check out garage sales and craigslist. My boss is garage sale junky I gave her a list of weights to look for. :)
  • lilthings1
    lilthings1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Go to the library and see what exercise dad's they have. I am 67 with bad back so have to be careful. I took out Keeping fit in your 50's. It is low impact. I am also doing therapy for said back. Lot of exercises are in the therapy. I wish I could walk. can only walk 10 to 15 min.
  • lilthings1
    lilthings1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you want to get some weights check out garage sales and craigslist. My boss is garage sale junky I gave her a list of weights to look for. :)

Have friend also a yard sale junky. I am going to ask her to watch for me. Thanks for great idea.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are a great place to find gently used exercise equipment. Once people are done using it as a clothes rack (after the few weeks they used it when it was new) they often donate them.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of low impact bodyweight exercises. Many are modified versions of the regular exercise. Here's a few that work well for me:
    • Leg lifts (front, back, side)
    • Calf raises (stand on a step to make it harder for a challenge)
    • High knee raises
    • Lunges, lots of modifications (reverse lunge, curtsy lunge). Don't go too deep if you have knee issues. You can also put an exercise ball at your back and roll down the wall while doing a lunge.
    • Squats (with and without dumbbells). Also watch how deep for knee issues. Can add some dumbbells later for greater intensity.
    • Push-ups on my kitchen sink (sounds weird, but the level is just right)
    • Burpees (also modified - I use a bench on my deck instead of getting all the way to the ground, put out one leg at a time like mountain climbers)
    • Wall sits (start with 1 minute and work up to 2). Flat against a wall or door. You can also put an exercise ball at your back and roll down the wall.
    • Planks (high and low). Can start on your knees and work up.
    • Crunches (on exercise ball). Regular and oblique.
    • Glute bridges (both legs to start, then one leg at a time)
    • Glute clenches (basically standing and tight then release your butt muscles)
    I do a lot of these exercises while watching TV in the evening. I also have some small dumbbells (3, 5 & 10 lb) and do lots of bicep curls, tricep extensions, front and side raises, etc. Still very low impact.

I googled a lot of these to see the modifications - example "modified burpee" and you get lots of versions - low, medium, high intensity.

• Smurfe04
    Options
    @RaeBeeBaby thank you so much for the great ideas as well as all the input from everyone else. I do truly appreciate it! Y'all rock!!!!!!