Making the most of down time, surgery.

Options
Elise4270
Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
I have surgery scheduled June 16th. I'm guessing I'll be down a month or two before I can start a return to running program.

I plan on using the time to work on nutrition, hopefully lose some weight without compromising the healing process.

I plan on re-reading Matt Fitzgerald Racing Weight to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make the most of down time? Your welcome to have a look at my diary.

I'm 46F, 5'5", 127lbs. My goal is 115-120lbs.

If it matters, I'll be having piriformis release surgery.

TIA.

Replies

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What about doing core work? Planks, push ups, crunches? That will help with running form when you can get back to it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Pretty much as above. Find out what you can do. You may be limited, but whatever you can maintain will help. Otherwise, eat right and heal. Don't cut down too much on calories because inatead of feeding the running you will be feeding the healing. But don't use that as a splurge excuse either.

Hoping for the best!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Just the obvious stuff; you'll need to eat less when you're not running, and you should find whatever form of exercise you can do. When I had a foot injury, the first thing I found I could do was push-ups on the Swiss ball. Couldn't do standard push-ups because the foot wouldn't support me, but put the support on my calves on the ball, and there was something.

What you can do specifically depends on what the surgery affects. You might have to experiment a bit to see what's possible. I'm thinking piriformis surgery might indirectly affect glutes, which could rule out a lot of stuff that needs the glutes as stabilizing muscles until the glutes get better.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking about cutting calories to 1000/day. But I know, @WhatMeRunning, that's not a great idea, even if I'm laid up .

I'm going to go back to weighing everything, choosing foods that are simple, close to the source and easier to get a calorie count on. And try to not lay on the couch all day (when home).

I'm seriously tired of needing to lose 10+ pounds.

@MobyCarp, @kimlight2 I will I'll have PT 3 days/week. So I should have a good idea of what I can do. Think I'll push for some pool use asap. I have a Swiss ball, love it, but do neglect it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    So no on the 1000 calories a day. Unless you are in a coma you need more calories than that. I think the rest of your nutrition plan is the way to go. Good luck :heart:
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If/when you can get cleared for partial weight look for a Alter-g treadmill in your area. I had a rod in a broken leg a couple years ago and was able to begin running at 20-25% body weight 3 days a week after 7 weeks. I was able to run easy aerobic paces without the impact and keep in shape. As the dr. cleared me for more weight I'd slowly increase it into the machine. A little over 20 weeks after the broken leg I ran a half marathon at 2:09:49. My dr. was shocked I was able to keep in good enough shape to run at all, let alone do so for 13 miles.