Benching for short limbed ladies

Options
sammyliftsandeats
sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
Is there any benefit/drawback to someone who has short arms (meeeee) starting their bench press from the second rung?

The second rung of the rack would be where the barbell would be resting at the beginning.

Yes or no?

I struggle with getting the bar off and back on the rack when I'm done.

n4wdh2mra6ik.jpeg

Replies

• rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm short, 5'2, and I use the lower pegs. They're at the perfect height for my arms when fully extended.

I'm not sure I could even reach the top ones!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    rune1990 wrote: »
    I'm short, 5'2, and I use the lower pegs. They're at the perfect height for my arms when fully extended.

I'm not sure I could even reach the top ones!

I'm 5'3" and it was always a struggle. I have bench tomorrow so I'm going to try it. I just didn't know if it would make a difference in how much power I had or anything like that.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It didn't work for me at the 24 hour fitness that I attended with the regular bench. It's the spot where I'd re-rack when failing while going "oh $#!&". I thought to try using it to unrack from as a starting point but it didn't work well either and was very awkward. Couldn't get through more than one sets with that attempt. Some squat racks are a little closer and the one in the area here has far more spots to adjust, though haven't tried benching in it yet.

I have been able to use the bench just fine and I'm pretty short. It's a slight awkward move and do think it unsets things a little but didn't have other options really.
  • rune1990
    Options
    Actually my bench at the gym has two safety arms to catch a fail just inches above my face, then above that at my arms length is the first set of pegs and above that is the second set.

If it's really awkward I would bench in the squat rack, so much more options to position it just right! Plus I generally don't have a spotter and having to reach for pegs on a fail would stress me out lol.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    I am weary of benching in the squat rack because I don't want to do that if there are people who may need to use the rack.

I don't usually have a spotter - if I feel like I am about to fail, I generally do the roll of shame lol.

Do you guys arch when benching? I have seen it on powerlifting instagrams but I don't know if there is benefit to it for someone who is just starting out.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am weary of benching in the squat rack

um. 'wary'. sorry to be picky but, y'know. spread the word because everyone's getting it wrong and it's making me nuts ;)

i know what you mean. i have to reach about half an inch to get the bar off the top pins, which is just enough to lose me my shoulder set. but personally i found the lower pins both awkward and terrifying, definitely the worse of the two evils. it's like i have to do an extra 1/4 rep just getting to lockout once i have the bar out. and the return part is terrifying. i rely on those locked-out elbows to keep me safe from the bar while i'm getting it back on the pins. i think i tried it once and swore never again once i got my heart rate back down under six hundred. the problem is you're unlocking and trying to lower the bar with control while it's right over your face and your arms are tired.

so personally i just eat the tiny extra distance with the high pins. just recently i've also started using the mental trick of 'starting' my reps from my chest, too. that seems to be helping me to get my shoulder shelf back, for what that's worth.

i advise practicing/testing the lower pins quite a lot with a light bar. and also taking into account what it would be like with a much heavier bar before diving right in with that solution. i feel you on the general dilemma too. benches were apparently built for men.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I have a baby arch with bench. Not able to get much of one beyond that but have fun watching others that get more exorcist style. A couple at my first powerlifting meet could even have their lifting belt on during bench cause of the arch they had during the lift.
  • rune1990
    Options
    Ya baby arch for me too. I think. Ok ok, all I really know is my lower back isn't touching the bench.

My gym is pretty quiet and I've only ever seen a handful of other folks use the squat rack...actually I had to use it today for bench and the rails set up at a distance that's just a bit to high, or a bit too low. If I failed, I would have to be careful to drop it by my neck as to not bruise my chest.

Incentive perhaps...I didn't fail ;)
  • rune1990
    Options
    Just for comparison, this is basically what my bench (at gym) looks similar too.

d53963cvxdma.jpg
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    rune1990 wrote: »
    Just for comparison, this is basically what my bench (at gym) looks similar too.

d53963cvxdma.jpg

My second peg is much closer to the top peg than that - but I did try it with just the bar and @canadianlbs was right - it just felt too close to my face.

Working on my arch - keeping my shoulders and butt planted to the bench and my feet planted on the floor. It's not a big arch by any means, but I think it has helped push the weight better than flat bench.
  • rune1990
    Options
    I try to bring my chest to the bar as I come down, seems to really help. And increases that arch.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Generally:

starting with the rack position too high will force you to protract your scapula which is not a good thing both for performance and possibly for safety

starting with the rack position too low forces you to do a tricep extension to get the bar unracked and it can be stressful/difficult
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Generally:

starting with the rack position too high will force you to protract your scapula which is not a good thing both for performance and possibly for safety

starting with the rack position too low forces you to do a tricep extension to get the bar unracked and it can be stressful/difficult

But there's no middle rack position that's just right.

I feel like Goldilocks in search for that third bowl of porridge. :p:#
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's frustrating for sure when you're stuck between rack heights. I would ask for a spotter to help you with a lift-off and bench from the lower pegs.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @SideSteel.

I will ask for a spotter next time!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Another thing to note is starting too far "down" on the bench can make it seem like you're unable to reach the bar effectively.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    not about arms, but being short also meant that the bench itself is just a fraction too high for my legs. 2.5 plates under the heels helped my leg drive a lot, although in the end i just started benching in my squat shoes as i didn't feel totally stable with my feet just on plates.

worth mentioning, since 'short' is a whole-body thing :tongue:
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yep, my feet don't reach the ground properly when I bench so I use those square plastic things that you use in step class to boost my feet - two each side. Looks a bit crazy but it works. And no one ever says 'see you using the rack?' When you have filled it with big coloured plastic squares :-)

And I always use the rack for exactly this reason - the pegs are all wrong on the bench thingie.