Introduce yourself

Options
stroutman81
stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
This thread is for all newcomers to say hello and introduce yourself to the community. On top of saying hello, please answer the following questions if applicable/interested:

1. What's your favorite book or article pertaining to fitness?
2. What's your favorite exercise and why?
3. What's the one skill or habit that you feel you have nailed the most?

Replies

• nikki_hayter
    nikki_hayter Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Nikki, 33 from Oregon. I started my fitness journey 3 years ago and have lost 75 pounds so far (through diet only). I recently hit a wall/plateau and decided I needed help...I've been working with a personal trainer for a few months and really love lifting. I can't seem to get my eating back in check so my weight is not decreasing (I still have 50 pounds to lose) but I'm loving getting stronger.
    My favorite fitness books are Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto and Strong Curves by Bret Contreras.
    My favorite strength exercise is deadlifts and my favorite cardio is kickboxing!
    I don't feel that I have nailed anything quite yet...I actually feel like I can't get it all together and reach my goal. I frustrate myself!
    Thank you for creating this group. :)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Nikki, 33 from Oregon. I started my fitness journey 3 years ago and have lost 75 pounds so far (through diet only). I recently hit a wall/plateau and decided I needed help...I've been working with a personal trainer for a few months and really love lifting. I can't seem to get my eating back in check so my weight is not decreasing (I still have 50 pounds to lose) but I'm loving getting stronger.

You're deviating from the norm by leaps and bounds already with how much weight you've lost and for how long you've been at this. Totally cool... high five to you. And now you've found "getting stronger." Awesome... isn't it?

What makes your eating out of check?
    My favorite fitness books are Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto and Strong Curves by Bret Contreras.

Amazingly I've not read Strong Curves. Tom Venuto's BFFM, though, is an excellent book. Tom's my buddy... definitely one of the good guys in the industry. And has been that way for just about as long as anyone who's out there actively participating in the online fitness space.
    My favorite strength exercise is deadlifts and my favorite cardio is kickboxing!

Deads are fun. I don't do them much nowadays, though I do intend working them back into my programming soon. @SideSteel sends me a video of himself pulling from the floor about once per week. Not many people can say that they're graced by such a sexy specimen bending barbells in their text box!
    I don't feel that I have nailed anything quite yet...I actually feel like I can't get it all together and reach my goal. I frustrate myself!
    Thank you for creating this group. :)

Get it all together?

What's that?

lol

I've been at this fitness stuff pretty damn consistently since I was 14 years old. I STILL don't have it all together. And I don't believe that should be the mission. The mission, instead, should simply be to get a little better, step by step.

Thoughts on that line of thinking?

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Someone posted a link to an thread you started in 2010. It makes a lot of sense and hit home where I am. Female 124lbs, not losing. I started doing weights with my son and lost a few pounds. Took a month off and I seem to be regaining. Anyhow, I've got some studying to do.

1. Favorite book? Only fitness book I've read is racing weight by Matt Fitzgerald. I do read Runners World.
    2. Favorite exercise? I was running before piriformis release and sciatic nerve decompression surgery about 4 months ago. I do like to swim, pool is being renovated, and cycling when my rear gets better.
    3. Running, running and some more running.

Anyhow thanks for the information. I'll definitely work in some resistance training. And may rethink my 1300 cal/day goal that's getting me no where.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Someone posted a link to an thread you started in 2010. It makes a lot of sense and hit home where I am. Female 124lbs, not losing. I started doing weights with my son and lost a few pounds. Took a month off and I seem to be regaining. Anyhow, I've got some studying to do.

1. Favorite book? Only fitness book I've read is racing weight by Matt Fitzgerald. I do read Runners World.
    2. Favorite exercise? I was running before piriformis release and sciatic nerve decompression surgery about 4 months ago. I do like to swim, pool is being renovated, and cycling when my rear gets better.

Anyhow thanks for the information. I'll definitely work in some resistance training. And may rethink my 1300 cal/day goal that's getting me no where.

Well glad you found your way here! I run a support group on Facebook too that's a lot more active if you're interested. You can find that here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/402656043239370/?ref=bookmarks

As for running... what do you enjoy about it most?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Well glad you found your way here! I run a support group on Facebook too that's a lot more active if you're interested. You can find that here:

The challenge, the accomplishment, mental freedom. I'm not sure how soon I'll be running again... A bit of walking has been cathartic!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am back after rotator cuff and knee replacement over the last few years. Still basically in maintenance mode, need to knock off about 8 lbs and get back into the awesome shape I was in a few years ago. Not reading any books lately, just checking out various on-line videos and articles. I love the elliptical and working with free weights. Can't say I've nailed anything, just am well rounded. ;)
  • stroutman81
    Options

The challenge, the accomplishment, mental freedom. I'm not sure how soon I'll be running again... A bit of walking has been cathartic!

Understood. That's what walking does for me. Running, for me, has always felt too hard on my hips and knees. Some people are resilient when it comes to it... many aren't. But again, if you get from it what I get from my walking... I totally get it.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    rileamoyer wrote: »
    I am back after rotator cuff and knee replacement over the last few years. Still basically in maintenance mode, need to knock off about 8 lbs and get back into the awesome shape I was in a few years ago. Not reading any books lately, just checking out various on-line videos and articles. I love the elliptical and working with free weights. Can't say I've nailed anything, just am well rounded. ;)

@rileamoyer wow... you've had a ride! Love that you're still showing up and ready for the next phase.

Need or want to knock off 8 lbs?

I think the words we use to explain our journeys are really freaking important!