Exercise Ideas

Options
osche731
osche731 Posts: 213 Member
Share any workouts that you've enjoyed or ones you didn't enjoy as much!

Replies

• Meowler
    Meowler Posts: 115 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If someone could offer advice on maintaining weight loss whilst exercising I'd really appreciate it!

Before starting the challenge I was not active and would consume 1200 calories each day, losing 1-2lbs per week - this was great! Since then I have been aiming for 100 minutes of exercise (mostly cardio, walking) each day, which gives me roughly 400 exercise calories.

It was suggested on some threads that I only eat half of my exercise calories to ensure there is still a defecit but at the same time ensuring that I am consuming enough to fuel my body. I have been doing this and eating around 1400 calories each day with 200-300 calories left over. Anyway I've intermittently popped on the scale and found that my weight has maintained 79kg (174lbs). This is not bad but I'm looking to lose not maintain!

I read in this article that too much cardio and not enough weights could be a factor, along with getting rest.

Unfortunately I cannot afford a gym membership at the moment - as much as I'd love to go - and live in an apartment complex with neighbours below - which excludes activities that involves jumping around (e.g. Insanity). I think that I should be focusing on core exercises and upgrading my walk to a jog/run to push my body further. Should I also be eating less?

I'd really like to know where I'm going wrong. I want to remain in this challenge but I feel that if I'm not losing the weight then it's not working towards my long term goals. :(
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @Meowler - when I was first starting out, I mainly did strength training 3x week with walking being my only cardio on the other days. I do think a combination of both is ideal and there are a TON of body weight exercises you can do without hitting the gym... might want to pick up some dumbbells or bands as well, but not necessary when starting out. Also, it hasn't even been a full week and our bodies tend to fluctuate throughout the week. I would give it another couple weeks.
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Meowler wrote: »
    If someone could offer advice on maintaining weight loss whilst exercising I'd really appreciate it!

Before starting the challenge I was not active and would consume 1200 calories each day, losing 1-2lbs per week - this was great! Since then I have been aiming for 100 minutes of exercise (mostly cardio, walking) each day, which gives me roughly 400 exercise calories.

It was suggested on some threads that I only eat half of my exercise calories to ensure there is still a defecit but at the same time ensuring that I am consuming enough to fuel my body. I have been doing this and eating around 1400 calories each day with 200-300 calories left over. Anyway I've intermittently popped on the scale and found that my weight has maintained 79kg (174lbs). This is not bad but I'm looking to lose not maintain!

I read in this article that too much cardio and not enough weights could be a factor, along with getting rest.

Unfortunately I cannot afford a gym membership at the moment - as much as I'd love to go - and live in an apartment complex with neighbours below - which excludes activities that involves jumping around (e.g. Insanity). I think that I should be focusing on core exercises and upgrading my walk to a jog/run to push my body further. Should I also be eating less?

I'd really like to know where I'm going wrong. I want to remain in this challenge but I feel that if I'm not losing the weight then it's not working towards my long term goals. :(

I know a lot of people are in the camp that walking burns similar calories to running but I think your calorie burn estimate is way off. Walking isn't going to give you the elevated heart rate that running does, the higher the intensity of the workout the more calories you burn. Do you know what your mileage is for 100 minutes of walking?

Calorie-wise as a runner (to lose weight) I eat under 1400 calories (usually around 1200) when my runs are 5 miles are under. I only eat over 1400 to fuel those longer runs of 5+. Listen to your body and adjust your calories as needed. I would drop your calories down to 1250 (still a little over what you were eating before) and gage how you feel on your walks, what your hunger level is like, and what the scale does and adjust from there.

If you want to add in some running with your walks the Couch to 5K program is a great place to start. I also have neighbors that live below me and you can still do great strength training without making a lot of noise. I do a lot of arm exercise with hand weights while laying down on a mat, or on an exercise ball, plus standing and doing bicep curls the only noise you hear is me complaining :) If you don't have weights they always say you can use soup cans to start. You can also find great core workouts like pilates on youtube for free.
  • Meowler
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences @rusgolden and @highlandshoppa.

I track my walking through MapMyWalk so it syncs with MFP. If I edit the time from MMW in MFP - not actually changing it, but entering the same time - it seems to knock a third of the estimated calories off. I then give myself half of that allowance as 'extra' calories so my body doesn't burn out. My average pace in my latest walks have been 1K in 11-12 minutes, so I'm not pushing myself to the extreme. Previously I was focusing on 5K in under 50 minutes so perhaps I should go back to this or as you suggest C25K.

Will look at introducing some strength training to vary my workout. I'll have to use canned tomatoes as weights for the time being until I can afford to invest in weights or go to the gym. I'll try working with the 1250 calories as you suggest and monitor how I get on next week. I realise the weight won't fall off as quickly if building muscle, but I don't think this is the case for me at the moment.

Thank you again - just need that reassurance and motivation. :)

• KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Was it just one or two weeks you weren't losing? If so I wouldn't worry. And do you weigh every food (prepacked too) on a food scale?
  • BirdParrott
    BirdParrott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Meowler wrote: »

Will look at introducing some strength training to vary my workout. I'll have to use canned tomatoes as weights for the time being until I can afford to invest in weights or go to the gym. I'll try working with the 1250 calories as you suggest and monitor how I get on next week. I realise the weight won't fall off as quickly if building muscle, but I don't think this is the case for me at the moment.

Building muscle is a great idea!!! Cardio will burn calories, but building muscle is what will help make your body look tone. Muscle is denser than fat and though the weight won't come off as quickly you will be loosing inches! Also, the the greater your muscle mass, the greater calories you burn at rest!!!
  • KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    as promised I'll be more active here - this is what I did this morning (I think my kickboxing coach posted it on FB... ) I finished in approx. 10min... so even for me who is the opposite of an early bird I could squeeze this in
    xbin5yjfsm00.png
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    So, my goal for this week is to beat my miles for each day last week :smile:
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    So, my goal for this week is to beat my miles for each day last week :smile:

Great Goal! I'll try that too.
  • Meowler
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @KatKat1209 Thankfully lost the weight this week. I was being foolish popping the scale each day - I usually try to avoid this, but got ambitious with the exercise - so will stick to my weekly weigh-in. I'm very particular about weighing everything - it drives my boyfriend mad - so insist on a food scale and weighing everything out.

I try to scan directly from labels where possible and cross-reference to ensure it matches. If there is no barcode (e.g. fruit, vegetables, cooked chicken) then I use an 'approved' option from the search or for the slightly higher calorie option to keep myself covered.

The workout you shared looks great and it makes my legs moan at the thought of it, haha! :D
  • littlebarry
    littlebarry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember is that muscle weighs a lot more than fat. When starting to exercise regularly it's very common to actually gain weight; which is frustrating, if this is the metric you're using to judge success. Also, salty foods can really skew the results, due to water retention. I eat a lot of salty foods, so I gained a ton of weight, during the water challenge. This has since dropped off, once everything stabilized. @Meowler is right in suggesting that you don't over weigh yourself. The results can be very frustrating. I swear barometric pressure comes into play, although I can't find anything scientific to support this... :/
  • BirdParrott
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weight more than fat. Muscle is denser than fat. Therefore when you put on muscle and lose weight you look more tone. Taking measurements is a much better way of analyzing your success. Also remember, that the more muscle mass you have the more calories your body burns at rest!!!
  • littlebarry
    littlebarry Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Your right, muscle doesn't technically weigh more (although it does by volume). My point was that by exercising you might not actually lose weight, and could in fact gain, at first. Many people get discouraged by this, but it's normal.
  • BirdParrott
    Options
    I have 30 or so ab workouts. I'll post at least one when I get back from Holiday!