How do you soothe yourself without food

Options
stroutman81
stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
Life's definitely not all rainbows and butterflies. It can get rough out there. Turning to the quick fix of dopamine release food provides becomes the norm for a lot of people. That said, learning to insert some space between stress and impulsive eating is such an important part of this journey.

What are some ways you've paused and soothed without food?

For me, my two main go to's are walking in nature and listening to music. If I can find it within myself to hit that pause button and commit to one of these two things... I can usually calm my nerves and change my state. It seems so dang simple... and I suppose it really is. But far too often for far too many... they never reach for one of these life lines. Instead, they surrender to the emotional tide and get swept away... only to "come to" after the fact as they aimlessly drift in a see of guilt and shame.

Make no mistake about it... learning to create some space and change your state is a skill. A skill, I might add, that can be developed.

So yeah... let's hear what your non-food soothers are.

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    For me, my two main go to's are walking in nature and listening to music. If I can find it within myself to hit that pause button and commit to one of these two things... I can usually calm my nerves and change my state. It seems so dang simple... and I suppose it really is. But far too often for far too many... they never reach for one of these life lines. Instead, they surrender to the emotional tide and get swept away... only to "come to" after the fact as they aimlessly drift in a see of guilt and shame.

Make no mistake about it... learning to create some space and change your state is a skill. A skill, I might add, that can be developed.

Yep. Finding time to really pause is truly key to my success. Through yoga and tai chi, I've learned how to stay still and calm, and take deep relaxing breaths as necessary. Depending on where I am located, I:
    1) Take those deep breaths
    2) Do yoga
    3) Listen to my favorite music or soothing music
    4) Take a walk outside OR do a quick walking sequence from Leslie Sansone
    5) Go on Youtube or any other site that'll make me laugh

• stroutman81
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Yep. Finding time to really pause is truly key to my success. Through yoga and tai chi, I've learned how to stay still and calm, and take deep relaxing breaths as necessary. Depending on where I am located, I:
    2) Do yoga

Love these. Walking and music seem to be universal. Laughing too. Yet so many people shove these options into dark corners that are forgotten about in times of need.
  • sureitstime
    sureitstime Posts: 67 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I hit the gym and try to work off my stress and frustration. I also like to sleep it off but naps are a rare commodity to come by when you need them.
    I can actually feel all the tension in my shoulders and neck!
    For me food was never a stress buster. In fact I tend to go off food when stressed. It's when I'm happy that food is tempting. I don't know what this says about me!
  • stroutman81
    edited July 2016
    Options

2) Do yoga

@neldabg

How successful would you say you are with pausing before the tide sweeps you away? Is it still something you feel you have to work at or is it second nature at this point?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I hit the gym and try to work off my stress and frustration. I also like to sleep it off but naps are a rare commodity to come by when you need them.
    I can actually feel all the tension in my shoulders and neck!
    For me food was never a stress buster. In fact I tend to go off food when stressed. It's when I'm happy that food is tempting. I don't know what this says about me!

@sureitstime

You bring up a great point about feeling the physical sensations. It's another piece of the puzzle that can help enhance your awareness and take action. The more familiar you become with how stress physically presents itself the better.

You're not the first person I've seen who eats less in the face of stress and more in the face of happiness.

How do you typically respond to stress?

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

2) Do yoga

@neldabg

How successful would you say you are with pausing before the tide sweeps you away? Is it still something you feel you have to work at or is it second nature at this point?

I'm successful a high majority of the time. I still feel like I'm in the transitioning phase between it coming to me naturally and my having to actively work on it, but overall, I've definitely reached a point where I'm closer to the second nature side of things. :) Practice has made progress.
  • MaryQueenofWalking
    MaryQueenofWalking Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Walking is definately a good soother - the flow of walking is great. In the evenings, when I'm very tired and longing for sweets, I prepare to go to bed, brush my teeth and read for awhile. I then fall sleep, and on the second floor, I'm far away from the food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Walking, definitely. And, in winter, long hot baths.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Walking! Always at work and at home and swimming when it's not raining!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Playing guitar. Reading. Meditating. Going for a walk for sure...
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    A long soak in a warm bubble bath with a few drops of lavender essential oil, a warm cup of tea and my phone to watch videos on.
    Holding and cuddling my cat, luckily he is a 'love bug' type kitty and will just lay in my arms like a baby and purr while I pet him.
    (Not both at the same time = would end in tears and lots of bloody scratches!)