11-year old mother

Options
Here's the story: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/07/pregnant-11-year-old-in-chile-speaks-out-91196.html

And....go.

She's 11, for crying out loud, and was raped. How is that ok? Not to mention she has no where near the ability or mental awareness to provide for another living being. SHE'S 11!!!!!

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    This is one of those rare cases where the most moral thing you can do is terminate the pregnancy. The odds of an 11 year old surviving the shear trauma of giving birth are not all that great. Odds of the baby surviving are equally dim. Even if they both survive who is going to take on the responsibility of supporting both of them now? Obviously the mother and father are both unfit and should suffer legal consequences so they can't do it. This is a horrible situation in every possible way.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    oh, that poor kid! this is truly no-win. and this child has been brainwashed by her culture to think that having the baby is a good choice? she's 11! she's looking at the baby like a doll? that right there tells you she is not old enough to face this!

the pregnancy could kill her. mortality rates for pregnant females under the age of 13 are over 70% - i had to look that up about a year ago, i forget the exact number, but the WHO has it as over 70% and that over 90% of the cases available to study took place in 3rd world countries.

i think the worst part is that she's being used for political reasons and she doesn't even get it. b/c she is a CHILD.

just... damn.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    in a case like that they should never tell the child she is pregnant. just say that the rape caused minor damage that needs surgery and do the abortion without her ever knowing and having to deal with it. she already so much to work through.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    in a case like that they should never tell the child she is pregnant. just say that the rape caused minor damage that needs surgery and do the abortion without her ever knowing and having to deal with it. she already so much to work through.
    I think that this solution is best and most ethical thing to do.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Here's the story: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/07/pregnant-11-year-old-in-chile-speaks-out-91196.html

And....go.

She's 11, for crying out loud, and was raped. How is that ok? Not to mention she has no where near the ability or mental awareness to provide for another living being. SHE'S 11!!!!!

Read the story yesterday. Terrible. I agree that she is not capable of rasing a child on her own, but there are many parents here in the US that are much older and still not providing for their children.

This little girl may not be capable, but she is evidently more mature than the usual 11 yr old. She wants this baby and, although I disagree, intellectually, I hope she gets the support from her community to help raise this child until she is cable of doing it on her own. I think she can assume the role of Mother faster than you people are giving her credit for.

As for "tricking" her into an abortion, I think everyone that suggested that is dead wrong.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    An eleven year old girl is not capable of giving consent to have sex. She should not be carrying a child to term. She does not have the mental capacity to take on the burden of being a mother. She is just saying what she thinks the people around her will approve of. At this point in her life she should be having a childhood. The *kitten* that raped her already took a good deal of that away from her. It makes absolutely no sense to complete the sentence by having her raise a child that she had thrust upon her.

I also think it is unfair to say that she was being tricked in to an abortion. Take that child to term has a high likelihood of killing her. An eleven year old should not be made to go through decisions like this. The idea is to protect her from further burden and not to simply deceive her. It's not like I am such a huge fan of abortion that I want it to happen no matter what.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    An eleven year old girl is not capable of giving consent to have sex. She should not be carrying a child to term. She does not have the mental capacity to take on the burden of being a mother. She is just saying what she thinks the people around her will approve of. At this point in her life she should be having a childhood. The *kitten* that raped her already took a good deal of that away from her. It makes absolutely no sense to complete the sentence by having her raise a child that she had thrust upon her.

I also think it is unfair to say that she was being tricked in to an abortion. Take that child to term has a high likelihood of killing her. An eleven year old should not be made to go through decisions like this. The idea is to protect her from further burden and not to simply deceive her. It's not like I am such a huge fan of abortion that I want it to happen no matter what.

Have to agree to disagree. I understand you. Your points are valid. Is she old enough to do this on her own? No. But, I still disagree. She wants to do it. She has been a victim all her life and now, whether she is echoing what she thinks others want to hear or not, she wants and needs true love. Like the love a child should give and should recieve from a mother.

This whole thread is moot anyways. Abortion is illegal in her country.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    If the purpose of the thread was to dictate policy in a foreign country then yes I would agree it would be moot. We discuss these things so that we can have a glimpse in to the minds of the other people in the world. We can share the pain of injustices and we can celebrate together the progresses that we see in our world. Not to mention we all might learn a thing or two from one another and grow as people.

Since her hand is basically being forced anyways due to the fact that it is illegal I hope that she survives delivering the child and I hope that the baby survives as well and I hope that she and the baby is taken care of by people that are not sadistic monsters like her parents were.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Have to agree to disagree. I understand you. Your points are valid. Is she old enough to do this on her own? No. But, I still disagree. She wants to do it. She has been a victim all her life and now, whether she is echoing what she thinks others want to hear or not, she wants and needs true love. Like the love a child should give and should recieve from a mother.

This whole thread is moot anyways. Abortion is illegal in her country.

i just cant imagine a parent would want their 11 year old to go through this. the extremely high chance of death alone should be enough to not want it to happen. and then you add in all the emotional stuff that would go along with having the baby.

and even if a parent would want this to happen i think the govt should step in and prevent it. just like the govt should get involved with parents take the irresponsible action of praying away common illnesses that leads to a kids death.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    If the purpose of the thread was to dictate policy in a foreign country then yes I would agree it would be moot. We discuss these things so that we can have a glimpse in to the minds of the other people in the world. We can share the pain of injustices and we can celebrate together the progresses that we see in our world. Not to mention we all might learn a thing or two from one another and grow as people.

Since her hand is basically being forced anyways due to the fact that it is illegal I hope that she survives delivering the child and I hope that the baby survives as well and I hope that she and the baby is taken care of by people that are not sadistic monsters like her parents were.

I have three daughters and 2 granddaughters. Understanding the pain of the inustices handed down to this child and being able to empthize is not an issue for me.

I can't understand how a man could brutalize this child and take away her childhood any more than you can. It happens, though, and more often than we like to acknowledge. And...much closer to home than most people would admit.

Imposing our societal beliefs on another society is a waste of time.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Societal beliefs can and do change but it only happens when people dare to question the way things are now. I am not suggesting that America go to war over this or even that we should impose American ideas upon their society. But I do have an opinion about the way they are doing business and it is worthy of examination. This is how our ideas grow and change over time. Now you can go on and on about how pointless it is for us to discuss this but if that is all you intend to do I would simply say that your remarks have been noted.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Societal beliefs can and do change but it only happens when people dare to question the way things are now. I am not suggesting that America go to war over this or even that we should impose American ideas upon their society. But I do have an opinion about the way they are doing business and it is worthy of examination. This is how our ideas grow and change over time. Now you can go on and on about how pointless it is for us to discuss this but if that is all you intend to do I would simply say that your remarks have been noted.

Since I am clearly not measuring up to your standards of debate, I will withdraw. Especially since you opened this thread, right?
  • soldier4242
    Options

Since I am clearly not measuring up to your standards of debate, I will withdraw. Especially since you opened this thread, right?
    You can clearly see that skinnybearlyndsay started the thread and I do not see the relevance.

Since the topic has been brought up you took the position that an 11 year old girl is ready to decide whether or not she can be a mother. Clearly I disagree with that assertion and you don't care to go through the work of defending your claim.

So you have decided to just say that the whole conversation is a waste of time. I don't know who's standard of debate that would measure up to but we could come to that conclusion about every single topic we bring up in this group. It is all to easy to just say agree to disagree every single time we disagree but there is nothing forensics about that.

The entire purpose of debate is to find truth. To take the positions that we hold most dear and let them live or die on their own merit as they are subjected to the scrutiny of logic. If you think I am in error on this point then I invite you to tell me your perspective, how it differs from my own and why your view is more accurate.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

You can clearly see that skinnybearlyndsay started the thread and I do not see the relevance.

Since the topic has been brought up you took the position that an 11 year old girl is ready to decide whether or not she can be a mother. Clearly I disagree with that assertion and you don't care to go through the work of defending your claim.

So you have decided to just say that the whole conversation is a waste of time. I don't know who's standard of debate that would measure up to but we could come to that conclusion about every single topic we bring up in this group. It is all to easy to just say agree to disagree every single time we disagree but there is nothing forensics about that.

The entire purpose of debate is to find truth. To take the positions that we hold most dear and let them live or die on their own merit as they are subjected to the scrutiny of logic. If you think I am in error on this point then I invite you to tell me your perspective, how it differs from my own and why your view is more accurate.

I'm not here to argue with you. I stated my opinion. You stated yours. It's not an intellectual artgument anyway. It has much more to do with personal feelings and experience. Ours differ. Besides, I agree with you. I just don't have the time to make a case for a situation that already has had the outcome decided. That little girl is going to have a baby. She will get the support she needs or she won't. She is just one of millions of sad stories around the world.

I prefer to commit my time to making a difference in the little girls in my life.

Philosophically, you've been on point from the beginning. Practically speaking, however, there is no purpose to dicussing this any further.