Fitbit HRmax now a field to enter a better estimate in.

Options
heybales
heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
If you go to Fitbit web account - Settings - Personal Info - Body Info there's now a field for setting a custom HR max.
Not sure where that might be buried in the app.

Since I don't have a Fitbit HR device and don't have that setting - I'd be curious to confirm if the notes for the field say it's a max HR you don't want to go over in your HR zones - or truly says it's for the normal meaning of HRmax - instead of the traditional 220-age.

Just a tip if you are going to enter your own.
Tested is best.

I wouldn't rely on the Fitbit HRM to provided an accurate reading of high HR's, that seems to be when it loses ability, unless you've confirmed otherwise.

But normally you could take the highest HR you've seen with a really intense-as-you-could-get effort with a short workout, and add about 10-15 to it. Too long a workout and you can't push the HR that high, so it's gotta be short.

Should be interesting for those who have a tested HRmax - if this effects the calorie burns on some common workouts you've done before, same pace/speed, ect.
It should.

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    There don't seem to be any notes for the field. You can select "Custom" and it pops up a little box to enter the value. That's about it. I would be curious to know if setting it to a more accurate value affects the heart rate zones that Fitbit uses. It seems like it should.

I'd love to be able to enter a custom max HR in order to get better data, but mine's never been tested and I'm not sure I'd feel confident trying to test it myself. I'm not good at short, intense workouts.